I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

need help with 95 civic headlights...

Old 06-10-2010
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cw4131 is an unknown quantity at this point
need help with 95 civic headlights...

First off I dont know a thing about cars, so I wont even try to act like I know what I am talking about.

The drivers side headlight keeps going out on my '95 civic. Its been to the shop 3 times now (2 different shops in CT), works for couple weeks or months and then just stops working again when it rains. The fuses are completely fine, and when I check the drivers side bulb in the passenger side headlight, it works perfectly. The high beams also work too, just the low beam keeps going out.

When I push and fiddle the "wire harness?" or the wire that connects to the bulb and headlamp it works fine, but then when I shut the hood (whether hard or softly..no homo) it goes out or goes out after a minute or two. I think the plug isnt fitting properly. The plug doesnt completely fall out, it just doesn't stay pushed in all the way. I believe that the wire harness's have been replaced but I am not 100% sure. And I am guessing that since its been in the shop they have checked for a cracked lamp.

A past shop told me there is another lighting system in the car from a previous owner having aftermarket lamps. I think the wiring might still be in it, and disabled, but not sure if they took it out or not.

One of the original problems was that the fuses kept coming loose and need to be pushed back in. This isnt a problem anymore, just thought I would add that just in case it helped diagnose the problem.

To make a long story short I cant take it back to the shop, and need to fix it on my own. Any suggestions? Like I said I am a complete newbie on this, so I dont know much...

I will know what exactly was done to "fix" the headlights tomorrow, and will let you know tomorrow. Let me know if anything comes to mind in the meantime...

Also want to start to learn about cars, and be able to "work" on my car and put some stuff under the hood. Any suggestions where to start of would be cool.
Old 06-14-2010
Administrator
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
electric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: need help with 95 civic headlights...

maybe a loose power or ground wire.