Notices
Wheels, Tires & Brakes Modifications Post Wheel, Tire & Brake related modification information and/or questions here

94 Civic Brake Fading issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
docwill2 is an unknown quantity at this point
94 Civic Brake Fading issue

Bought a 94 Civic EX, with approx 170K miles. Great car. Service Rep suggested I replace the Brake Master as it was leaking. Since then, the Brakes have failed suddenly on way home from work (40mile drive in traffic). The Peddle feels soft, looses pressure. Pumping, causes incremental lose in pressure.
First Time it happened, I stomped to avoid a non-blinking lane changer. Pedel to the Floor and the car pulled to the Right???
Third Visit to the shop for this issue, was told the issue was due to Brake Fade caused from over heading Brake pads. Was suggested to install Ceramic pads and change fluid to Dot4. $440 later, No Improvement. Still have Soft, fading brakes. Pucker Factor is increasing.....

Any suggestions as to diagnosis, steps to reach Root Cause? Traffic here in DFW is pretty Fast. I avg 75 which is dangerous as traffic stops just as quickly.

Thanks in advance

Docwill2
Old 03-07-2011
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud of
Re: 94 Civic Brake Fading issue

Inspect system thoroughly for leaks. This includes master cylinder, lines, calipers (seals on the piston), and wheel cylinders. Replace the leaking part. If no leaks, bleed the system VERY good (at least 3 0r 4 times). I'm assuming you had the master cylinder replaced but, did they adjust the rod coming out of the booster?

If you want help PM me.

Last edited by lazlong; 03-07-2011 at 02:01 PM.
Old 03-08-2011
Registered!!

docwill2 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks lazlong

Cannot say for sure yet what was/wasn't done regarding the brakes. Not a motorhead, just do basic maintenance stuff. I'm going back (3rd time), to have them check out the Master Cylinder. Have read other sites that mentioned similar symptoms. The recommended replacing the Master.
One thing to note, the brakes get worse as I drive. I have a 40mile drive, thru heavy traffic (Fort Worth back to Dallas). By the time I get near home, the Pedel nearly bottoms out.

Doc
Old 03-08-2011
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud of

Yes, replace the master if it hasn't been replaced already.
Old 07-19-2011
Registered!!

rpena001 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have the exact same issue. I've bought the MS and I'm going to install new pads but I'm wondering why you meant by the rod coming out of the booster. I've done a ton of pads in the past but this will be the first MS I put in so any advice would be greatly appreciated

thanks,

Robert
Old 07-20-2011
turbo_coupe_EJ1

turbo_coupe_EJ1 is an unknown quantity at this point

just be sure to bleed the master cylinder
Old 07-21-2011
Registered!!

ok master cylinder went in no problem, I think I had the work done in under 45 minutes. I placed the ear of the new cylinder in a vice and bled the hell out of the new cylinder, to the point that I was only getting little bubble when I would press the rod.

The problem I am facing now is that the brakes are not releasing. I was driving down the road and could smell the brakes and I would have no power. I'm trying to figure out what would cause the whole brake system to lock up like this. Maybe when I reinstalled the cylinder I didn't install the rod from the booster correctly?

Again any further advice will be greatly appreciated.
Old 12-13-2011
Registered!!

wow that sounds just like what my car was feeling like prior to changing out the master cylinder. Any chance you can change out the cylinder for a new one. New parts have been known to come out defective.

As for the problem I described earlier about the brakes sticking, I ended up taking the car to a mechanic to give the whole system a inspection it turns out that the adjustment lever which attaches to the brake pedal needed to be adjusted, wow imagine that. Plus whoever previously installed pads on the car put the inside pads on the outside and the outside pads on the inside. But new pads cost $50 and I did those myself.

In all honesty if you have some tools and access to the internet you can do 80% of the work that is needed on these civics. paying a mechanic is a last option.
Old 12-13-2011
Registered!!

this was meant to respond to docwill2 below
Old 12-17-2011
Registered!!

MrDobin is an unknown quantity at this point

How the hell did they get the pads switched?. Thats impressive hahaa