Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

overfilled my engine oil

Old 02-20-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
5hamers is an unknown quantity at this point
overfilled my engine oil

i changed oil yesterday on my 91 civic was fine but now its a bit over full mark just checked it should i worry or drain some out??
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	oil_dipstick.jpg
Views:	56059
Size:	64.1 KB
ID:	89545  
Old 02-20-2017
Dr Krieger of Modification

Received 84 Likes on 58 Posts
mac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to behold
Re: overfilled my engine oil

I would correct it.

It looks to be about .75 of a liter over (0.79 quarts).

Which should equal about a 7 second count for draining time. (start with draing it for 4 seconds).

Have extra oil on had because it is common that to plug will get soaked in oil then you will drop it in the catch can and loose it; then all the oil drains, lol.
(that's happened to me at work).
Old 02-20-2017
Registered!!

that aint my real oil dipstick but one i found online that close matches my oil level on dipstick when i checked it yesterday it was a tad over i been driving here around and it went right up today why? dunno? i will drain it mac25 thanks
Old 02-20-2017
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

did you let the engine sit for an hour before you checked the oil levels?!?
Old 02-20-2017
Registered!!

no i ran for 5 mins turned it off waited 15 mins then checked level was a tad over today it went right up??? i been pushing the gas hard and stoping to check my new brakes i put in guess i should of waited 1 hour?? seems a long time to wait to check oil
Old 02-20-2017
"Honda - tried, true & tested...!"

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
brags is an unknown quantity at this point

over filling with too much Oil will cause damage...! it foams up and gets aerated and

turns it into a "froth sort of like the froth You see coming out of a capochino

machine when making a capochino" when this happens Your Oil Pump can't suck Air

without causing damage to Your engine. this is the worse case cenario that could happen..!

on my Civic I'm very picky on oil Level when i do an oil/filter change i will

either do it when the engine is HOT after a good lengthy drive or other

times i will do it stone COLD when its been sitting in the garage overnight

i found it easier checking the oil level after an Oil/filter change if i drive it

hard down a lonely road. mind You just enough wide open throttle with-out

getting into trouble circulates the oil up a lot quicker in the engine i find then

its just a matter of waiting a few minutes on my car and its either adding

200 ML or Right Dead on. i found this from my files for all those that think

overfilling Your engine is ok think again...?

https://www.reference.com/vehicles/s...2c23ef7f1b4af6 Eureka!... i got link working

Last edited by brags; 02-20-2017 at 06:36 PM. Reason: having trouble with link?
Old 02-20-2017
Registered!!

i never would of guessed air could get in the oil its on full mark now no higher
Old 02-20-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Start engine, shut it off, check oil level immediately. If it's reasonably close or only slightly over, leave it alone. (checking immediately shows you the approximate level while engine would be running)

Waiting 15 minutes or all day allows the filter to drain, partially or completely and depending on the size (capacity) of the filter that could cause a lot of "gain" on the dipstick.

I'd think it would take a full quart or more above full before the oil would be whipped to a froth by the rotating assembly. (yes it does happen that way as brags described)
Old 02-20-2017
"Honda - tried, true & tested...!"

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
brags is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by 5hamers
i never would of guessed air could get in the oil its on full mark now no higher
i forgot to mention Your oil Level was a bit off.. I'm glad to see You

brought it back down to a Norm. again its only when You add way too much oil

too much being 1-2 bottles over MAX Level that the crankshaft beats it to a Pulp

creating a froth aerated foam too which the oil pump is no longer

sucking oil but air resulting in engine damage. " read the Link i posted."
Old 02-21-2017
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light

the low to full marks on the dipstick is normally a one liter span, so you can use that as a guage to see how much extra you have in there,

if your level is double the dipstick marks that would mean you are over by one liter (just an example),

anything UP TO 1/2 liter over i would say is acceptable......however if it was my own car i would correct it

Search this Thread