Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

How Can I Repair Rust Around The Wheels

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Farquea is an unknown quantity at this point
How Can I Repair Rust Around The Wheels

My wife acquired a 91 Civic a few months ago from her Nanna with about 120ks on the clock. In general in its pretty good condition, I have a list of few things that we are going to try and sort out if possible but the first one that I'm worried about is the rust along the bottom near the rear wheels.

Can anyone suggest whats the best thing to do here, smash out all the rust and fill it with something? I'm just worried the rust might go a lot deeper than it appears and before i know it half the car is falling out as i hit it out!

I've attached some pics.My wife acquired a 91 Civic a few months ago from her Nanna with about 120ks on the clock. In general in its pretty good condition, I have a list of few things that we are going to try and sort out if possible but the first one that I'm worried about is the rust along the bottom near the rear wheels.

Can anyone suggest whats the best thing to do here, smash out all the rust and fill it with something? I'm just worried the rust might go a lot deeper than it appears and before i know it half the car is falling out as i hit it out!

I've attached some pics.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG1564.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	1.57 MB
ID:	89382   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG1566.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	1.20 MB
ID:	89383   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG1563.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	1.46 MB
ID:	89384  
Old 01-08-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RIPSAW has a spectacular aura aboutRIPSAW has a spectacular aura about
Re: How Can I Repair Rust Around The Wheels

Cut it out and fill it. But you are correct. You are talking about a 16 year old car that probably has been in salt. Even washing it out is hard to stop it. Your car needs someone to go over it underneath to make sure critical attachments are in OK shape before you worry about what you see there. If OK underneath, I would just drive it if you cannot do it yourself cut it out, pop rivet some structure in it and bondo it over and shoot it with a little rattle-can touch up. Why put cosmetic money in a over the hill car? It looks OK for a 91 on the surface. If that was the front fender, it would be a cheap replacement. But not back there.