Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

1994 civic starts then dies immediately.

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Weslinds is an unknown quantity at this point
1994 civic starts then dies immediately.

Hello all! Im new to the forum and also new to the car scene. I recently purchased a 1994 honda civic and i decided to use it as my first project car. When I bought the car it was in pretty decent condition but it had all ebay parts on it, anyway not gonna get into too much detail about that now but when I bought the car it had a CAI on it and I switched it out with a SRI and all was well for a little bit. After a while of driving the car with the new intake on I wanna say maybe a month or 2 I started having this problem where I would try and start the car and it will start up but die immediately. I noticed that every time I released the key from the "III" position to "II" position thats when the car will die out. There is no CEL and all electronics shut off and turn back on shortly after the car dies. Im not too sure what it can be and any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Old 12-05-2016
The legs in the public bathroom stall

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
mcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to behold
Re: 1994 civic starts then dies immediately.

Turn car to run position but don't try to start. Does dash light up with red oil light, CEL flashes, etc.... If nothing lights up gently and slowly twist key towards the start position. If the lights all come on before the vehicle attempts to start you likely have a bad ignition switch. Another method of testing this is to start car and hold the key in start and then very slowly release key back to run. Don't let the key snap back on its own and don't have a lot of weight on the key chain.
Old 12-05-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Weslinds is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: 1994 civic starts then dies immediately.

mcnoople, thanks for the reply. When i turn the key to the run position everything lights up fine. I'll try turning the key back slowly and see what happens. It really happens at random, like sometimes it will just die and sometimes it will turn on first try.