Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Stolen ECU?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tonyad is an unknown quantity at this point
Angry Stolen ECU?

Hi,
My son's 93 civic was stolen and recovered (for the second time). It would not start, but other than that seemed to be OK. Upon examination, we noticed a part missing from underneath the carpet on the floor of the passenger side. Is this the ECU? Good place to get a replacement? Is there anything else that would typically be taken with this particular part?

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Old 11-17-2016
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Stolen ECU?

missing from underneath the carpet on the floor of the passenger side. Is this the ECU?
Seems like the ECM should be hidden by the kick panel, bolted in standing up like this

.Name:  IMG_20110906_171629.jpg
Views: 8958
Size:  148.9 KB

Got pics of yours?
Old 11-17-2016
Registered!!

I think that's it. I will look tomorrow in the daylight and snap a pic.

If that is it, where is the best place to get a replacement and would there typically be more components taken in conjunction with it?

Thank you.
Old 11-17-2016

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

I have no clue why anyone would steal any of it in the first place. You'll just have to figure out what was removed.

Open the hood, see if anything is amiss. Stereo? Exhaust?

Check local recycle (junk) yards.....you might even end up buying your own ECM back LOL.
Online salvage yard lookups: www.car-part.com

EDIT: You'll probably need to know the Honda part number of the ECM that was correct for your car. Check online Honda parts catalog, enter your VIN instead of picking out the car.. USA? http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/
Old 11-17-2016
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Stock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of light

Was this car turbo charged or super charged? Highly modified? engine swap? The only reason I could see somebody taking the ecu would be it was programable like a hondata and worth a lot of money. If so swapping a regular factory unit back in isn't going to make the car run the way it did before the ecu was stolen.
Old 11-17-2016
Dr Krieger of Modification

Received 84 Likes on 58 Posts
mac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to behold

There are a few nice anti theft devices on ebay that cut fuel and actually send you a text message when they detect motion. Some of them even record audio.

The down side is that you need to buy a second cell phone plan since they run off of the cell network SIM system.

You could also install a kill switch to cut fuel.

AS well I'm not 100% but I don't think people usually hot wire these cars, I'm pretty sure one ignition key fits all on that year. So you could also wire it so that it kills fuel and if the ignition is turned the horn turns on.
Old 11-18-2016
Registered!!

At the time the ECU was the only thing stolen. However, someone came back before we could get it away from the apartments my son lives in and took the stereo. As far as we can tell, these two items are the only thing missing.

We suspect that the tow company that was called by the police to move the car actually are the ones that took the ECU. Can't prove it, though.

As far as buying our ECU back, the car was near Seattle, but we recently brought it back to rural Oregon, so probably won't have that "luck".
Old 11-18-2016
Registered!!

Thank you. I was thinking of hooking up som 220 to the handle
Old 11-18-2016
Registered!!

This is a stock 93 civic, thankfully.
Old 11-18-2016
Registered!!

[QUOTE=mac25;4715820]There are a few nice anti theft devices on ebay that cut fuel and actually send you a text message when they detect motion. Some of them even record audio.

I was thinking 220 on the door handle
Old 11-20-2016

mac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to behold

[QUOTE=tonyad;4715828]
Originally Posted by mac25
There are a few nice anti theft devices on ebay that cut fuel and actually send you a text message when they detect motion. Some of them even record audio.

Lol, yup that'll do er!
Old 11-20-2016

Originally Posted by tonyad

Old 11-20-2016
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
Exactly!
Old 11-20-2016
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
I have no clue why anyone would steal any of it in the first place. You'll just have to figure out what was removed.

Open the hood, see if anything is amiss. Stereo? Exhaust?

Check local recycle (junk) yards.....you might even end up buying your own ECM back LOL.
Online salvage yard lookups: www.car-part.com

EDIT: You'll probably need to know the Honda part number of the ECM that was correct for your car. Check online Honda parts catalog, enter your VIN instead of picking out the car.. USA? http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/
Thank you! I was able to find the part number and order the correct ECU. It should be here in a couple of days and I'm hoping we can just plug it in and be good to go.
Old 11-21-2016
The legs in the public bathroom stall

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
mcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to behold

Old 11-21-2016

^lol, that's great.
Old 09-04-2017
Registered!!

oldbeater is an unknown quantity at this point

I had some tweaker in my neighborhood stealing car batteries so I hooked up an extension cord to my non-existent engine heater in the winter it had a bare wire that"accidentally" touched the frame of the car about 2 am I heard a scream and went out to investigate and saw a big urine stain on the ground and footprints leading down the road. the tweaker actually called the cops who investigated and told me I had to get that wire fixed"someday". the idiot only tried it three more times until he left it alone.