Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Loud motorboat type sound and drives rough

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2016
BBT
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BBT is an unknown quantity at this point
Loud motorboat type sound and drives rough

I have a 95 Honda Civic manual transmission. The other night on the way home it started making a loud motorboat type sound. It started driving rough and jerking sometimes mainly when pushing on the gas. It would pick up speed but slower than usual. When I got home and slowed down and stopped, it acted like it wanted to die but didn't. I could smell a faint burnt smell also. The next day in the daylight I saw that the exhaust pipe was hanging. I rigged it back up and noticed cracks and holes in the exhaust pipe. Also noticed transmission fluid slowly dripping. I drove it again and when I drove about 60 mph or faster the noise stopped and the car ran better. When I slowed down the noise came back and would hesitate again. I know the exhaust pipe needs to be fixed but I was wondering if anyone knows what could be causing this problem. Could it be the damaged exhaust pipe has gradually messed up my catalytic converter and its messing up my transmission, throttle or something else? Thanks in advance for any help.