Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Limp Mode/Wont Start?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
theironlung is an unknown quantity at this point
Limp Mode/Wont Start?

I have a 1993 Civic Si that has been in limp mode ever since it overheated a few months ago. I just recently learned about this mode and it explains why the car can't rev above 3500 rpm. I was following instructions on how to reset the ECU to bring it out of limp mode so I could test v-tec, I unplugged the battery and ECU and I put them back together, now it won't start. It had been having trouble starting before and would take a few tries to start up.

When I turn the key I hear a whirring of fans, the lights on the dash light up but there is no sound coming from the starter. No trying to turn over, just silence.

So today I read up on the problem, heard that it was probably an issue with the starter solenoid because if the starter wasn't working the solenoid would still make a clicking sound (which it isn't making). So I go to AutoZone and pay $80 for a new solenoid, spend an hour and a half trying to put it in, and when everything was put back in its place... Same issue, no sound, doesn't start.

Help please?
Old 09-04-2016
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Limp Mode/Wont Start?

A $3 test light and a few minutes of testing could have proven if the starter may or may not have been the problem.

Got a clutch?
Maybe the rubber button fell apart and came off the clutch pedal. Find the starter safety switch at the top of the clutch pedal and you may find the little rubber pad missing where the plunger of the switch makes contact with the pedal, pieces on the floor.