Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Vtec oil pressure switch (Delete)

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Topendslide is an unknown quantity at this point
Vtec oil pressure switch (Delete)

So i broke the probably 20 years old Oil pressure switch in my 93 EX AT...

And its way overpriced where i live so i wont replace it, is there any other way around this?
(120.00 usd in direct conversion)

The car is running, no check engine light, but i guess im out of Vtec!

I searched around and i seen a trick to "jump" A4 to D6 and bypass it but i cant afford to damage the ECU neither i know how to do any of that...

Last edited by Topendslide; 05-27-2016 at 01:19 AM.
Old 05-27-2016
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Vtec oil pressure switch (Delete)

Look for a suitable replacement part at an auto dismantler/recycle yard?

The same pressure switch fits many many different years and models of Hondas.

I don't know which version of the cars you have in Brazil, so I can't say for sure what models you could find it on, but looking in a USA catalog I see the version we had was also used on Accord V6 from 98-12, various Civics from 92-2000, and even more years in the Odyssey, Pilot, Prelude and Ridgeline too.
Old 05-27-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Topendslide is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ezone
Look for a suitable replacement part at an auto dismantler/recycle yard?

The same pressure switch fits many many different years and models of Hondas.

I don't know which version of the cars you have in Brazil, so I can't say for sure what models you could find it on, but looking in a USA catalog I see the version we had was also used on Accord V6 from 98-12, various Civics from 92-2000, and even more years in the Odyssey, Pilot, Prelude and Ridgeline too.
Thx for reply, its the usdm model, there was no Honda dearlership here at the time, btw there are no odyssey, pilot, preludes or ridgelines here.

But yeah i guess its the best solution, but there are no guarantees that it will be a good part and i dont know how to test it!
Old 05-27-2016
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

You would have to be able to test continuity across the wire terminals while applying about 50 PSI to the threaded end, not very easy to do.

It would probably be much more simple to find one, screw it into your engine and see if it works ok.

The switch was not a high-failure rate item (IMO) so chances are good that any you find will be good enough to use.