Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Where is VSS located in '95 civic dx? Also imminent tranny failure?

Old 09-09-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bricoleur is an unknown quantity at this point
Where is VSS located in '95 civic dx? Also imminent tranny failure?

I have been getting a VSS (code 17) after my speedometer stopped working a month or so ago. The CEL only comes on when I have been driving for a while and then put on the brake to slow down.

I was trying to chase down the location of the VSS. I assume it is under the air intake tube near the throttle body? I can't seem to find it.

Also, I read that a bad VSS can actually be a sign of imminent transmission failure. Is this correct? and how to do I check this possible scenario out?
The transmission seems to shift fine; fluid levels are normal (as of today).

Lastly, can I continue to drive with the VSS light coming on? I read on another forum that if the VSS is on, it can limit excessive speed and turn off the engine. I don't want to lose power to an engine while driving on the highway. (I won't have time to take care of the VSS until later; I am too busy right now.)

Last edited by Bricoleur; 09-09-2015 at 10:16 AM.
Old 09-09-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Where is VSS located in '95 civic dx? Also imminent tranny failure?

I was trying to chase down the location of the VSS.

Name:  102_1882copy.jpg
Views: 16712
Size:  146.2 KB
Old 09-09-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bricoleur is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks, I suspected that was the VSS; I just thought it would be higher up on the transmission.
I am working on replacing it; however, I did drive for a while with the CEL coming on at times. Does this damage the transmission?
Old 09-09-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

If it drives and shifts normally after you fix the VSS problem, then you may assume the trans wasn't damaged.