Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Dizzy Leak

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2015
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
davidpaustin is an unknown quantity at this point
Dizzy Leak

I know this has been talked about before, but after searching many times and hours, I was wondering if anyone has another alternative to fix the common oil leak in the Honda distributor leak.

I have replaced the O-ring 5 times and tried 3 different distributors and still have a pretty significant leak. I've thought about constructing a gasket between the dizzy and engine, but does anyone have a better idea?

Many Thanks
Old 05-17-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Dizzy Leak

Is it filling the distributor housing and dist cap with oil?
Is it a valve cover gasket leak?
Is it lacking sealant between the halves of the exposed journal?
Old 05-19-2015
Registered!!

I should have mentioned, it's a newly rebuilt block and head with ARP head bolts and brand new gaskets all around.

No oil enters the dizzy and the oil is dripping from under the distributor.

On the other hand I'm not sure what an exposed journal is and I tried to look it up. It has something to do with the cam, but I'm still a little confused on where to look.
Old 05-19-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Ok,,,,, I can't SEE what's leaking on your engine.... Is the hole for the dist round, not gouged or damaged, no huge scrapes the O ring can't seal up? Edges line up?

Here are a couple of the common things people miss....
Google images here, generic

Cam Journal upper half, showing where sealant is applied so oil doesn't seep out between the exposed sections of aluminum:

^^^ This has to be done to the first and last journals only. Those are the only ones exposed to the outside.

And...
Missing sealant at the sharp corners on the valve cover gasket

Old 05-20-2015
Registered!!

Awesome. Now that is something I didn't check. I'm not sure when I will have time to check it, but that is a great suggestion. It definitely makes a lot of sense. If I have time over the weekend I'll check and let you know what I find out.