Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

SOHC ZC NON-VTEC ENGINE ECU issues

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rhonda1 is an unknown quantity at this point
SOHC ZC NON-VTEC ENGINE ECU issues

Hello to all fellow Honda viewers! I'm a noobie for threads but not some much to the Honda cars. My question for all is that I have a 1995 Honda DX sedan with a VIN# stating that the engine is suppose to be a D15B7 but currently is equipped with a ZC. The sticker on the front of the engine bay says it is manufactured in Japan. The guy I bought the car from says it is completely bone stock and it definitely is from what I have worked on so far. To truly know if this is the original engine, I would like to know if the VIN# would state that it is a ZC or would it says some American version like I stated before. ZC motors are a pain to research because there so much fluff in the he says and she says. Any help is great!
Old 08-09-2014
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: SOHC ZC NON-VTEC ENGINE ECU issues

Post the VIN please, let's see what info it can give.

Wikipedia has this for the ZC non-VTEC

DOHC ZC

Non-VTEC
  • Found in (JDM)
    • 1984–1987 Honda Ballade CRX AS
    • 1984–1987 Honda Civic AT
    • 1985–1987 Honda Integra AV/DA1 (Lower trim packages equipped with Single Carburetor)
    • 1986–1991 Honda CRX EF7
    • 1992–1995 Honda Civic EH1
      • Displacement : 1,590 cc
      • Bore and Stroke : 75 mm X 90 mm
      • 1984–1987 Compression : 9.3:1 1988–1989 Compression : 9.5: 1
      • Single Carburetor : 100 PS (73.5 kW) at 6,800 rpm; Torque : 92 lb·ft (12.8 kg/m, 126 Nm) at 5,500 rpm
      • 1984–1987 Power : 115 PS (85 kW) at 6,250 rpm; Torque : 99 lb·ft (13.7 kg/m, 134 Nm) at 5,500 rpm
      • 1988–1989 Power : 120 PS (88 kW) at 6,500 rpm; Torque : 103 lb·ft (14.0 kg/m, 137 Nm) at 5,500 rpm
      • 1988–1991 Power : 130 PS (96 kW) at 6,800 rpm; Torque : 106 lb·ft (14.7 kg/m, 144 Nm) at 5,700 rpm
      • Valvetrain : DOHC
      • Piston Code 1986-'87 : PG6
      • Piston Code 1988-'89 : PM7
      • Fuel Control : OBD-0 MPFI
Euro Mk1 ('85-'87) 1.6 CRX's are fitted with an engine designated "ZC1" which is a higher spec 125 PS (92 kW) version of the D16A1. These were later replaced by the D16A8 or B16A, depending on the specs.
1st Gen ZC Identified by: External coil, small distributor, dual butterfly TB, cam cover bolts on top, brown/gold cam cover. Large cam pulleys. +3cc PG6B pistons, non-pent roof combustion chamber. As a ZC it appeared in JDM AV Integra Si and JDM E-AT Civic/CR-X Si. Commonly produced at the time but now over twenty years old and getting harder to find. D-series version is called D16A1, 1986-1987.
2nd Gen ZC (rarest) Identified by: Internal coil, large distributor, single butterfly TB mounted on slight angle forward, bolts on top of cam cover, black cam cover, large cam pulleys. +7cc PM7 pistons, 43 cc Pent roof combustion chamber. As a ZC appeared in JDM facelift AV bodied Integra Si did not appear in Civic or CR-X, rarest ZC only produced for less than one year. D-series version D16A1 '88-'89 (sometimes +7cc P29 pistons)
3rd Gen ZC Identified by: Internal coil, large distributor, single butterfly TB. Black cam cover. Cam cover bolts on the sides. Small cam pulleys. Inlet Manifold stamped PM7. +7cc PM7 pistons, 43 cc Pent roof combustion chamber. As a "ZC" this appeared in the JDM EF3 Civic and EF7 CR-X, and also in the JDM Honda Quint Integra GSi (DA1 chassis). This is the most commonly produced ZC, manufactured in Japan from end of '87 through to early '91 D-series version D16A8/9 (Euro Civic Si) (sometimes +7cc P29 pistons)
4th Gen ZC Identified by: Internal coil. OBD1 EFi system (grey plug). No cam angle sensor on exhaust cam, now located in distributor. Rubber plug where cam angle sensor would mount. Black cam cover. No PGM-EFi plate on the inlet manifold, replaced with three ribs instead. P29 stamped on inlet manifold. MAP sensor on TB. +7cc PM7 pistons, pent roof combustion chamber. As a ZC only appeared in EG5 Civic bodies, no Integra or CRX received this engine. Reasonably common produced from '92 to '94. (20th Anniversary edition & Japanese car of the year) D-series version D16A8/9 (Euro & Australia Civic Si) (sometimes +7cc P29 pistons)
Old 08-09-2014
Registered!!

Vin# JHMEG8642SS008584
Old 08-09-2014
Registered!!

The biggest issue I am having with the car is that is acts like it is hitting rev limiter when I slightly press on the gas at low idle. I kept getting a IACV CEL#14 after ECU reset and relearning the idle. When I drive it and press on the gas further, it drives fine. I have came to the assumption the ECU is the problem because I threw a P28MT for a D16Z6 in it, and it drives fine other than having a VTEC CEL#22 pop up.
Old 08-09-2014

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

VIN is for a USA market car
95 Civic sedan DX
KA emissions (49 state)
4 speed auto trans
Built in Japan

Parts catalog shows only 16v SOHC non-VTEC engine, so......

Your ZC (DOHC) engine must be a swap.
Old 08-09-2014

Originally Posted by Rhonda1
The biggest issue I am having with the car is that is acts like it is hitting rev limiter when I slightly press on the gas at low idle. I kept getting a IACV CEL#14 after ECU reset and relearning the idle. When I drive it and press on the gas further, it drives fine. I have came to the assumption the ECU is the problem because I threw a P28MT for a D16Z6 in it, and it drives fine other than having a VTEC CEL#22 pop up.
Open up the bad ECM and see if it has had capacitor(s) leaking onto the board.

Google to the rescue?: http://vtec92.wordpress.com/2009/12/...acitor-in-ecu/
Old 08-09-2014
Registered!!

I have taken the ECU apart and it is squeaky clean. No burns or residue. I start investigating this issue by the use of a HELMS service manual or should I say the bible of Hondas. I could tell the owner before me has done some repairs because I had two CEL's on which I found the culprit to be wires connected to sensors were backwards. After doing so, I still kept getting CEL#14 for IACV. I tested the IACV with a 9V battery and it clicked with the plunger engaging and disengaging. I checked the harness by using a 9V battery and still heard my IACV click through that. I used the ECU from the D16Z6 and it fixed the rev limit effect at low rpm range. The research I found has told me ALL SOHC ZC engines are 1.6 liter. Makes sense since I have a D15B7 ECU. Some say that is the right ECU but others tell me that a D16A6 is what I need. Not sure what to go by since this is 5th not 4th GEN and ZC was made for my year and make.
Old 08-09-2014

The research I found has told me ALL SOHC ZC engines are 1.6 liter. Makes sense since I have a D15B7 ECU. Some say that is the right ECU but others tell me that a D16A6 is what I need. Not sure what to go by since this is 5th not 4th GEN and ZC was made for my year and make.
Probably best to ask whomever performed the swap, which may not be possible.

The engine can probably run ok on the ECM you had (if it were a good ECM) but it might not be programmed optimally for the engine.

I really don't have any info on the ZC, it appears that it was never used in USA market vehicles according to Wiki.
Old 08-10-2014
Registered!!

WIKI is hit or miss on truth from what I have seem to find out. It is a SOHC engine non-vtec though. The person I bought the car off of did not know much about Honda's or engine types at all. I was throwing all types of acronyms like FITV, IACV, ect... to help him describe the issue to me over the phone before I purchased the car. I am learning more about these ZC engines though. I will keep searching for a new ECU for the mean time to see if it will ultimately get me back to normal. I have seen post on making auto ECU to manual ECU; is it possible to make a manual to auto just by adding those resistors in the right places or would I need to do a ECU reflash?
Old 08-10-2014

I have seen post on making auto ECU to manual ECU; is it possible to make a manual to auto just by adding those resistors in the right places or would I need to do a ECU reflash?
I can't really answer, because most of what I deal with is completely stock. And AFAIK that ECU does not have reprogrammable memory.