Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

95 Civic EX Idle Issue

Old 04-16-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
crxfreak is an unknown quantity at this point
95 Civic EX Idle Issue

Yesterday I got off of the interstate and when I got stopped I noticed that it was still idling too high. I dropped it into neutral and it was running at 2 grand. If i revved it up it still wouldn't drop back down. If I got under the hood I could push the throttle down and it would drop to proper idle and could be revved up then and drop back down properly. However put it in gear again and give it gas and the idle goes up and stays.

Only mod done is cold air intake that has been on for almost a year. I have pulled the IAC and used carb/injector cleaner to clean dirty screen and problem still persists. The only code being thrown is 41, which I have been told wouldn't affect the idle in such a way. Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Old 04-16-2014
Registered!!

swandro88 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: 95 Civic EX Idle Issue

Sounds like your throttle is getting stuck plus you might have hurt ur civic alil more than help with the intake, unless you have an exhaust system with, it's like a human we need to release just as much air as we suck in
Old 04-16-2014
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

If I got under the hood I could push the throttle down and it would drop to proper idle
Sounds like the throttle isn't releasing.

Cable adjusted too tight, cruise cable problem, cables misrouted, carpet laying on the gas pedal, something along those lines.
Old 04-17-2014
Registered!!

Again the intake has been on there for almost a year now with no issues. I have checked to make sure the carpet isn't catching it also. This was only happening if it was put in gear and given gas, if left in park or neutral it was fine. I removed the IAC again last night and let carb cleaner sit in it for a bit this time and then let it dry for a good hour before putting it back on. Today the problem is still there, but is now all the time and at one point started to do a high-low fluctuate.
Old 04-17-2014
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

I could push the throttle down and it would drop to proper idle
Can you still do this to make the idle speed drop?
Old 04-17-2014
Registered!!

Yes. Oddly enough this afternoon it stopped as suddenly as it started.