Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

98 Civic Ex, D16 5 speed Please help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
lilhall1 is an unknown quantity at this point
98 Civic Ex, D16 5 speed Please help!!!

Hey guys im new to the website, i have tried just about everything but my budget is very limited.

Here is the issue, i bought a 98 Civic Ex about 2 weeks ago... When im driving the car it has what i have read to be referd to as gear "humping" the car almost acts like its misfiring or starving for fuel. If you put on the cruise control it has a very noticeable shudder and is like your letting off the gas real hard and then hitting it real hard ( it is really annoying).

Here is what i have done so far to the car.
New Dizzy << new lingo i just learned from reading online forums trying to figure it out lol
New Plugs+Wires
New oil filter
New oil change
Radiator Flush
New intake

From what i have read online and i have been researching this for a few days it could possibly be the TPS? (Throttle position sensor) If im correct. Which i hear you can check out with a multimeter and it should read .5V closed and 4.5V open??

I am going to stop by the local auto part store and see if i can borrow one to test this out. But i wanted to see if anyone had this issue before and i could maybe be skipping something??

Also i know there is supposed to be a reader i can plug up to and scan a code to see what it says, only problem is the plug has been moved and i cannot locate it, anyone have a starting point to where i can trace this wire? I have looked everywhere under the dash for it.

I am on a very tight budget after the new dizzy and the shop i stopped by today wants $150 just to look at the car. Please any ideas that can point me in the right direction i am open to.

Sincerely Trevor

Edit - I have also read around on sites and seen many post saying that the TPS has to be installed a certain way? like you have to turn it 3 times one way then install it and turn it a 1/4 turn the other way? If this is true anyone know the exacts ? i can't seem to find anything online

Last edited by lilhall1; 11-13-2012 at 10:08 PM.
Old 11-14-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
lilhall1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: 98 Civic Ex, D16 5 speed Please help!!!

Update - so today i reset and recalibrated the tps, reading. 5v closed and 4.5v open. That was not the issue.. so i went to an autoparts store bought tune up on a bottle, (fuel injection cleaner, filled up with 93that octane ) also bought a new fuel filter as i think at this point it has to be a fuel problem. Also ordered the o rings for the injectors, going to pull them out and see how they look.

So by tomorrow will have a new fuel filter and checked injectors. Will update when done hopefully that fixes it.. any input? ?