Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Oil leak on 93 EX

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rpena001 is an unknown quantity at this point
Oil leak on 93 EX

I have a 93 Civic EX that's turned into a sieve for the oil I put in. I found where the oil is coming from but have no idea what it's called or if there is a gasked there that I can change. In the included picture the oil leak is coming from where the arrow is pointing. On the right is the valve cover but I don't know what is on the left and if there a gasket in between them that I can change out?

Thanks for any help with this
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	oil leak.JPG
Views:	265
Size:	41.7 KB
ID:	83055  
Old 04-10-2012
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Oil leak on 93 EX

VTEC valve. There are 2 gaskets that commonly leak, #13 and #15.

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/...R+HEAD+%282%29

HTH
Old 04-12-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rpena001 is an unknown quantity at this point

The part I was referring to is called the vtec solenoid and I found the gaskets, that was pretty easy. The issue I ran into when I was trying to put everything back togethor was that the screws were pretty tight when I got them out. So when I was installing them I cranked down on them and ended up breaking a corner off the part that sits on top.

I found out that the screws were tight when I was taking them off because they had some white lock tight on them and according to the dealership they are only supposed to get 9lbs torque on the screws anyway. Well I have 2 questions now: 1) can I get the part that broke off welded back on? 2) if I can't get it welded I found a junk yard that has a very similar part that comes from a 94 EX, would I be able to use that one if the holes line up properly?

BTW that blow up you linked to was great, exactly waht I needed.
Old 04-12-2012
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Look up both of them, see if the part numbers are the same.

www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/