Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Engine died while driving, won't start

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Forbidden Era is an unknown quantity at this point
Engine died while driving, won't start

Sudden loss of power/ignition. Died as if it had run out of fuel. Won't start subsequently. Fuel pump primes and runs. Can't tell if there is spark because the leads to the plugs are too deep within the boots. Thought I heard arcing in the distro, can't be sure cuz I wasn't listening close enough, but if that is the case then maybe the rotor or cap is too worn to conduct enough for ignition.. Other than that I can't think of anything, checked all the fuses.. Unless none of the injectors are firing or a fuel line or filter is clogged, I have no idea.. Any ideas?

After doing some research, I will be checking the main relay as I've read it can cause issues, though it seems that is usually in hot weather while this happened suddenly while driving and has persisted with the car sitting for almost 24h, but I will check anyway.
Old 02-09-2012
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Engine died while driving, won't start

Originally Posted by Forbidden Era
Can't tell if there is spark because.....
Sounds like you need a tow truck and a mechanic.

/no offense
Old 02-09-2012
Registered!!

Gee, thanks. I posted to brainstorm and get ideas.

Can't afford either anyway.

I have quite a bit of experience with cars, have rebuilt engines and fixed hundreds of problems.

I've only had 5 mins to try and diagnose and no tools handy. Just because I haven't had the time to check the basics properly does not mean I do not have the knowledge or capacity to learn. Even if I didn't know those basics, telling me I need a mechanic defeats the purpose of this forum.

I have never had to use a mechanic to fix a problem in my life, why start now?

Never had any prior issues with the car, has always ran great and started easy, even in -40 weather. I was driving it a bit hard that night but at the moment it died, I was driving gentle.
Old 02-09-2012

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Ok, stick a screwdriver in the plug wire end and check for spark that way. Or take a wire loose from the cap and make a gap to check for spark.
Old 02-10-2012
Registered!!

kellogg6316 is an unknown quantity at this point

I had similar symptoms and it was the ignition switch.
Old 02-10-2012
Registered!!

Originally Posted by kellogg6316
I had similar symptoms and it was the ignition switch.
If it was, wouldn't it not crank even?
Old 02-10-2012

If it was, wouldn't it not crank even?
The bad section of the ignition switch does not affect the starter.
It will still crank just fine.
The switch loses the power feed that runs the engine, and the dash is usually dark like someone shut the key off when it dies.
Wiggle the key and the dash lights up again.
Old 02-10-2012
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
The bad section of the ignition switch does not affect the starter.
It will still crank just fine.
The switch loses the power feed that runs the engine, and the dash is usually dark like someone shut the key off when it dies.
Wiggle the key and the dash lights up again.
It died at night so I would have noticed the dash lights being dead, they are not. CEL etc comes on and shuts off after 2 sec like normal.
Old 02-10-2012
Registered!!

My brother suggests the timing belt may have slipped. I don't know if I agree with this since the D16A6 is an interference motor, I think I would have heard the valves getting smacked around and turning it over subsequently, sounds normal, perhaps if it slipped the timing would be too far off to start but.. I just don't think that would happen.
Old 02-10-2012

My brother suggests the timing belt may have slipped. I don't know if I agree with this since the D16A6 is an interference motor, I think I would have heard the valves getting smacked around and turning it over subsequently, sounds normal, perhaps if it slipped the timing would be too far off to start but.. I just don't think that would happen.
It sure can happen.
If the timing belt only jumped a tooth or two, it can still run. But it will have low power.
Jumping time by any more than a couple teeth may keep it from running, and you can worry about valves.

You wouldn't hear the valves but once. They only make a little noise until they are bent out of the way of the pistons.

If it broke the timing belt, then you can worry. Remove the oil cap and have someone crank it. See if the visible rocker arms move as the cam turns.
Old 02-10-2012
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
It sure can happen.
If the timing belt only jumped a tooth or two, it can still run. But it will have low power.
Jumping time by any more than a couple teeth may keep it from running, and you can worry about valves.

You wouldn't hear the valves but once. They only make a little noise until they are bent out of the way of the pistons.

If it broke the timing belt, then you can worry. Remove the oil cap and have someone crank it. See if the visible rocker arms move as the cam turns.
Thanks, my parent are going to renew my AMA for my birthday, surprising since they just gave me like 500 in the last two weeks.

I should have it towed to my house tonight or early tomorrow and will have at least a screwdriver to take off the cap and try and see what's up
Old 02-11-2012
Registered!!

So it's the coil.

While distro blew up. Coil was singed, rotor was wobbling wouldn't even stay on proper and cap was cooked.

Drive all around and couldn't find a cool to tonight. Will have to finish tmr.
Old 02-13-2012
Registered!!

After two coils cuz a cheap champion distributor cap fried the first, were up and running.

Good cap/rotor : $40
Bad cap/rotor: $25
Coil:$120

Also got a coil from the junk yard, so might return that one to save cash.

Also got a full turbo kit for $150. Hehe.
Old 02-13-2012

After two coils cuz a cheap champion distributor cap fried the first, were up and running.

Good cap/rotor : $40
Bad cap/rotor: $25
Coil:$120
It's amazing what the COST of those low PRICE parts is.