Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Hood latch issue

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
upsguy3 is an unknown quantity at this point
Hood latch issue

I just put on a new hood on my 1991 civic dx (original unlatched on hwy) . I was checking to see if things lined up properly and latched. I went to pop it open and thre lever broke. How do I pop the using the existing cable.
Old 11-20-2011
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Hood latch issue

you would need to cut around the cable to remove the plastic covering, then pull the metal cable part with pliars. you will have to replace the whole thing anyway so cutting it isnt a big deal.
Old 11-23-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
kbc6313 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Hood latch issue

I am not sure about yours, but my son's has a ball that is similar to the cable style you would see on a clutch or throttle cable on a motorcycle. We can pull on that ball on the cable end by hand. If it is harder, you should be able to pull on the cable end with pliers. That is if the plastic handle is the piece that broke and not the ball off the end of the cable. If it was the ball end, you will have to cut the cable jacket back as gearbox described. You should then be able to pull on the actual cable with pliers or vice grips.