Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

93 HONDA CIVIC DX Problem

Old 04-24-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kartel is an unknown quantity at this point
93 HONDA CIVIC DX Problem

Ive got a 93 Honda Civic DX. About 2 weeks ago, it started overheating and busting hoses, as well as leaking anti-freeze into the passengers foot compartment.. I bypassed the heater core to take care of the leaking inside, replaced thermostat and gasket, and refilled with coolant... since then, ive busted numerous hoses and the temp will randomly shoot from normal to red where it will sit for a minute or 2, then back to normal. Ive heard about the air in the coolant system probs that are notorious with Hondas, but could air really cause this?. my thermostat housing is missing the bleeder screw.. can that be allowing more air in the system?? Also, upon starting the car sometimes, it will sputter like it is overheating but no smoke.... As well as when im driving the engine will rev for no reason... HELP!!
Old 04-24-2011
Whachya lookin at?

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 93 HONDA CIVIC DX Problem

You probably have a blown head gasket. Your car struggles upon first startup because the cylinder(s) are filling up with coolant while turned off and the coolant is interrupting with the cylinder fire. I'd start by bleeding the air out and then replacing the rad cap to see if that helps. If it doesnt you probably have a shot HG. If you bleed the air out and the problem goes away for a couple days and then comes back its still a head gasket.
Old 04-24-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kartel is an unknown quantity at this point

Blown Head Gasket was my first thought also... Only theres no water in oil and no smoke from exhaust.. What way would i bleed the air from the coolant system since i dont have a bleeder screw.. I cant do the "turn the heater setting all the way to red" since i bypassed the core.. so do i just take off radiator cap and run it at a bit over idle till coolant stays consistant?

Originally Posted by tbohar
You probably have a blown head gasket. Your car struggles upon first startup because the cylinder(s) are filling up with coolant while turned off and the coolant is interrupting with the cylinder fire. I'd start by bleeding the air out and then replacing the rad cap to see if that helps. If it doesnt you probably have a shot HG. If you bleed the air out and the problem goes away for a couple days and then comes back its still a head gasket.
Old 04-24-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,437 Likes on 1,193 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

yes. turn the **** of heater is just to reduce heat being drained to the heater system. if it not connect, does not matter. Duh. leave following instructions to the letter without thinking to the dealer service guys.

And what is in the coolant is not air, it's combustion gases passing thru. collant oil is not common, gases in collant is for hondas.
Old 04-24-2011
Whachya lookin at?

BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

Best way to bleed the system is to jack up the front of the car, turn the heat on full blast with the rad cap off and slowly fill up the radiator as the air comes out. Again, your heating system is not connected so I'd just run the car with the cap off and fill as required like you mentioned. What I usually do is after the procedure is leave the rad cap overnight, come back in the morning and fill the rad up the rest of the way and put the cap on. This little trick makes sure you have no more air in the system, but you do have to bleed the air properly first. You don't need symptoms for it to be a head gasket unfortunatly, I had no symptoms whatsoever but when I removed the head it was obviously the gasket. I call it air anyway sdai.. haha... it just makes it easier for people to understand though you are right.
Old 04-24-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

oh, yeah, no probs. It's just that calling air makes hard to explain the why's

Now, see the impact of season change? Spring come, that's what? 30 cases just this week? Sheesh, people need to take more care of maintenance... and to search more before asking, since all the answers are there...alsmot 4 to 5 cases a day?!?

That's why when we need to serach the forum for answers there are what, 30 pages of threads about the same subject? Search function does not work well because people does not use it, actually...

Last edited by sdaidoji; 04-24-2011 at 05:23 PM.
Old 04-24-2011
Whachya lookin at?

The maintenance got me too... I blew a head gasket due to a leaking thermostat. All I had to do was check my coolant and I would have known. In the winter though I'm not a big fan of opening the hood. That being said, a lot of new people here don't even know the search exists. Its better to kindly point out where it is than to be not so nice about it. I wonder how many potential long term members have left because people werent nice to em?
Old 04-24-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

ah, yeh.
When i notice they have potential, i change my tone but to OP, please take this as a ranting... you are not the first, so nothing personal... just tired of seeing so many overheating threads and answering the same stuff over and over...

Ah, when the other fella was in the middle of the road, typing from his phone, i as helpful as i could too and dropped the "please search" act

Last edited by sdaidoji; 04-24-2011 at 06:04 PM.
Old 04-24-2011
Whachya lookin at?

That's all part of being a senior... I mean ultimate member of the forum. We need more people like you I won't lie !!! Sometimes it's hard to hold back when you see the same thing asked a million times but you gotta put that aside because it will never stop. Unless every single individual person in the world gets knowledeagble enough with computers to know you can search a forum, and that won't happen.
Old 04-24-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

I did provide the why's before going into ranting, right? understand your point well and keep meself well behaved for a while
Old 04-24-2011
Whachya lookin at?

Haha it's not a warning by any means... Appreciate how much you do around here