Go Back   Honda Civic Forum > Honda Civics by Generation > 1st - 5th Gen > Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum
Register Forgot Password?

Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Welcome to civicforums.com!
Welcome to civicforums.com.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to start new topics, reply to conversations, privately message other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join civicforums.com today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-24-2011   #1
Registered!!

Points: 31, Level: 1 Points: 31, Level: 1 Points: 31, Level: 1
Level up: 62%, 19 Points needed
Level up: 62% Level up: 62% Level up: 62%
Activity: 1.4%
Activity: 1.4% Activity: 1.4% Activity: 1.4%
Kartel is an unknown quantity at this point
93 HONDA CIVIC DX Problem

Ive got a 93 Honda Civic DX. About 2 weeks ago, it started overheating and busting hoses, as well as leaking anti-freeze into the passengers foot compartment.. I bypassed the heater core to take care of the leaking inside, replaced thermostat and gasket, and refilled with coolant... since then, ive busted numerous hoses and the temp will randomly shoot from normal to red where it will sit for a minute or 2, then back to normal. Ive heard about the air in the coolant system probs that are notorious with Hondas, but could air really cause this?. my thermostat housing is missing the bleeder screw.. can that be allowing more air in the system?? Also, upon starting the car sometimes, it will sputter like it is overheating but no smoke.... As well as when im driving the engine will rev for no reason... HELP!!
Kartel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011   #2
Whachya lookin at?

Points: 85,524, Level: 100 Points: 85,524, Level: 100 Points: 85,524, Level: 100
Level up: 0%, 0 Points needed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Activity: 80.0%
Activity: 80.0% Activity: 80.0% Activity: 80.0%
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute
Dont think so WTF is twitter? Pardon? Im so confused... what box? ...
Re: 93 HONDA CIVIC DX Problem

You probably have a blown head gasket. Your car struggles upon first startup because the cylinder(s) are filling up with coolant while turned off and the coolant is interrupting with the cylinder fire. I'd start by bleeding the air out and then replacing the rad cap to see if that helps. If it doesnt you probably have a shot HG. If you bleed the air out and the problem goes away for a couple days and then comes back its still a head gasket.

Lower Ball Joint DIY
How to set up TDC during timing belt install
Overheating? Here is why.
Head gasket + timing belt DIY! Incomplete but useful!

With how old this forum is, if everyone searched... Nobody would post any more
BlueEM2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011   #3
Registered!!

Points: 31, Level: 1 Points: 31, Level: 1 Points: 31, Level: 1
Level up: 62%, 19 Points needed
Level up: 62% Level up: 62% Level up: 62%
Activity: 1.4%
Activity: 1.4% Activity: 1.4% Activity: 1.4%
Kartel is an unknown quantity at this point

Blown Head Gasket was my first thought also... Only theres no water in oil and no smoke from exhaust.. What way would i bleed the air from the coolant system since i dont have a bleeder screw.. I cant do the "turn the heater setting all the way to red" since i bypassed the core.. so do i just take off radiator cap and run it at a bit over idle till coolant stays consistant?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbohar View Post
You probably have a blown head gasket. Your car struggles upon first startup because the cylinder(s) are filling up with coolant while turned off and the coolant is interrupting with the cylinder fire. I'd start by bleeding the air out and then replacing the rad cap to see if that helps. If it doesnt you probably have a shot HG. If you bleed the air out and the problem goes away for a couple days and then comes back its still a head gasket.
Kartel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011   #4

Points: 24,988, Level: 95 Points: 24,988, Level: 95 Points: 24,988, Level: 95
Level up: 64%, 362 Points needed
Level up: 64% Level up: 64% Level up: 64%
Activity: 60.0%
Activity: 60.0% Activity: 60.0% Activity: 60.0%
sdaidoji is a splendid one to behold sdaidoji is a splendid one to behold sdaidoji is a splendid one to behold sdaidoji is a splendid one to behold sdaidoji is a splendid one to behold sdaidoji is a splendid one to behold sdaidoji is a splendid one to behold sdaidoji is a splendid one to behold sdaidoji is a splendid one to behold sdaidoji is a splendid one to behold sdaidoji is a splendid one to behold
sandro daidoji
Send a message via ICQ to sdaidoji Send a message via Yahoo to sdaidoji

yes. turn the **** of heater is just to reduce heat being drained to the heater system. if it not connect, does not matter. Duh. leave following instructions to the letter without thinking to the dealer service guys.

And what is in the coolant is not air, it's combustion gases passing thru. collant oil is not common, gases in collant is for hondas.

02 Coupe EX
suspension basics, Engine codes - To read, not to ask, Honda swap 101, VTEC head swap, Chassis code?, EX header?, cam?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poopies View Post
I get the broke thing, but what does being female have to do with anything? We'd help you out if you were a lawn gnome as long as you asked us nicely!
sdaidoji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011   #5
Whachya lookin at?

Points: 85,524, Level: 100 Points: 85,524, Level: 100 Points: 85,524, Level: 100
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

Best way to bleed the system is to jack up the front of the car, turn the heat on full blast with the rad cap off and slowly fill up the radiator as the air comes out. Again, your heating system is not connected so I'd just run the car with the cap off and fill as required like you mentioned. What I usually do is after the procedure is leave the rad cap overnight, come back in the morning and fill the rad up the rest of the way and put the cap on. This little trick makes sure you have no more air in the system, but you do have to bleed the air properly first. You don't need symptoms for it to be a head gasket unfortunatly, I had no symptoms whatsoever but when I removed the head it was obviously the gasket. I call it air anyway sdai.. haha... it just makes it easier for people to understand though you are right.

Lower Ball Joint DIY

Old 04-24-2011   #6

sdaidoji is a splendid one to behold sdaidoji is a splendid one to behold sdaidoji is a splendid one to behold sdaidoji is a splendid one to behold sdaidoji is a splendid one to behold sdaidoji is a splendid one to behold sdaidoji is a splendid one to behold sdaidoji is a splendid one to behold sdaidoji is a splendid one to behold sdaidoji is a splendid one to behold sdaidoji is a splendid one to behold
sandro daidoji

oh, yeah, no probs. It's just that calling air makes hard to explain the why's

Now, see the impact of season change? Spring come, that's what? 30 cases just this week? Sheesh, people need to take more care of maintenance... and to search more before asking, since all the answers are there...alsmot 4 to 5 cases a day?!?

That's why when we need to serach the forum for answers there are what, 30 pages of threads about the same subject? Search function does not work well because people does not use it, actually...

02 Coupe EX
suspension basics, Engine codes - To read, not to ask, Honda swap 101, VTEC head swap, Chassis code?, EX header?, cam?
Quote:
I get the broke thing, but what does being female have to do with anything? We'd help you out if you were a lawn gnome as long as you asked us nicely!

Last edited by sdaidoji; 04-24-2011 at 05:23 PM.
Old 04-24-2011   #7
Whachya lookin at?

The maintenance got me too... I blew a head gasket due to a leaking thermostat. All I had to do was check my coolant and I would have known. In the winter though I'm not a big fan of opening the hood. That being said, a lot of new people here don't even know the search exists. Its better to kindly point out where it is than to be not so nice about it. I wonder how many potential long term members have left because people werent nice to em?

Lower Ball Joint DIY

Old 04-24-2011   #8

sandro daidoji

ah, yeh.
When i notice they have potential, i change my tone but to OP, please take this as a ranting... you are not the first, so nothing personal... just tired of seeing so many overheating threads and answering the same stuff over and over...

Ah, when the other fella was in the middle of the road, typing from his phone, i as helpful as i could too and dropped the "please search" act

02 Coupe EX
Quote:

Last edited by sdaidoji; 04-24-2011 at 06:04 PM.
Old 04-24-2011   #9
Whachya lookin at?

That's all part of being a senior... I mean ultimate member of the forum. We need more people like you I won't lie !!! Sometimes it's hard to hold back when you see the same thing asked a million times but you gotta put that aside because it will never stop. Unless every single individual person in the world gets knowledeagble enough with computers to know you can search a forum, and that won't happen.

Lower Ball Joint DIY

Old 04-24-2011   #10

sandro daidoji

I did provide the why's before going into ranting, right? understand your point well and keep meself well behaved for a while

02 Coupe EX
Quote:
Old 04-24-2011   #11
Whachya lookin at?

Haha it's not a warning by any means... Appreciate how much you do around here

Lower Ball Joint DIY

Old 04-24-2011
CivicForums
Honda Civic

Paid Advertisement

Tags
2005 , 93 , beast , civic , dx , forum , gasket , head , hodas , hona , honda , leaks , overheating , pictures , problem