Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

My car wont Rev Past ~3k RPM's

Old 04-10-2011
JDM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tpowell is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation My car wont Rev Past ~3k RPM's

Whenever I try to go past ~3k RPM's in any gear it wont let me and it feels like it doesn't have as much power as it did the other day. For example, in 5th gear I can only go 65 top and if i try to accelerate past 65 mph it makes a noise like its redlining, kind of a repeating revving noise. I tried replacing the spark plugs and i put on a new oil filter but it still continues doing that, HELP !!!

It's a 94 Civic EG Hatch with a b18b1 swap.

Last edited by Tpowell; 04-10-2011 at 08:09 PM.
Old 04-10-2011
Trance Addict

MelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of light
Re: My car wont Rev Past ~3k RPM's

If you're flooring the gas pedal and it's getting loud and the car isn't going anywhere, it's your clutch. Do you smell anything when this is happening? What exactly is the tach doing when you accelerate?

Last edited by MelJ; 04-10-2011 at 08:44 PM.
Old 04-11-2011
Registered!!

TreeFortRichard can only hope to improve

I second the Clutch, esp if it's original...what's this world coming to when you can only get 17 years out of a clutch

I drove a Dodge Colt with a bad clutch in High School...Rode the thing until I couldn't move it...Lost 1st, 5th, Pumped it in 2nd off the line and then it would be an adventure to get it into 3rd. It feels like you've lost 2 of your 4 spark plugs..
Old 04-12-2011
JDM

Originally Posted by MelJ
If you're flooring the gas pedal and it's getting loud and the car isn't going anywhere, it's your clutch. Do you smell anything when this is happening? What exactly is the tach doing when you accelerate?
The car is still moving when i give it gas, but when i get to a certain rpm, it wont let me accelerate any more and it does a noise like a repeating revving , almost like its redlining at 3k rpm's. I don't smell anything but the tach for my mph moves up but when it gets to a certain rpm and starts doing the revving noise, then it just stays in one spot, like i said, in 5th gear it only lets me go to 65 mpg. Oh and I don't have a tach for the rpm's.

Also, the check engine is on, but its been on since the motor swap and I put about 50k miles on it so far and it just started doing this. This is the third time it has done this and usually it stops after it sits over-night but this time it isn't stopping. I have no idea what it is.

ALSO, it shifts fine into each gear & doesn't grind or pop out. And I can rev it up as soon as i start it but when I let it drop to idle, it won't let me rev the engine up past ~3k rpm's

Last edited by Tpowell; 04-12-2011 at 03:27 PM.
Old 04-12-2011
Trance Addict

MelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of light

Well, if you can, get the codes and we can probably help narrow it down more. That'll give the forum guys something more to work with. Someone may have an answer right now, but pulling the DTC(s) is always a good place to start.
Old 04-12-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

yeah, just one light, but there might be more codes in there now. sounds limp mode went in for whatever reason?

Note: important info like this should be on the first post, not second
Originally Posted by Tpowell
since the motor swap and I put about 50k miles

Last edited by sdaidoji; 04-12-2011 at 06:07 PM.
Old 04-12-2011
Trance Addict

+1 To that. Limp mode can be caused by a sensor going wrong. Keep us posted!
Old 04-12-2011
JDM

Figured out the problem, one of the fuel injectors was badly corroded and so i replaced it and the spark plug wires and now it runs like a pro again. Thanks to all of you who helped.
Old 04-12-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

good to know all is good again!
I suppose the injectors would not throw a cel, so...

Last edited by sdaidoji; 04-12-2011 at 08:30 PM.
Old 04-12-2011
Trance Addict

The Jeep we're using in our fuels class throws codes for injector issues. I guess some cars don't though. Glad to hear everything is good! I'd suggest changing all the injectors though. My teacher said it's a good rule of thumb that if one goes the others are probably close to going as well. I didn't even think you could buy a single injector. Lol.
Old 04-13-2011
Registered!!

TreeFortRichard can only hope to improve

I would've thought you would at least get a misfire code for that fuel injector...
Old 03-30-2012
Registered!!

playboyjj is an unknown quantity at this point

i have the same problem but mine has an ls head sittin on a b20 block i just got the car this past week and am already having problems and i need to fix asap plz help
Old 04-05-2012
Registered!!

sellis1552 is an unknown quantity at this point

If you punch it in 5th and all it does is rev, then it's definitely your clutch. That's the first sign that it's going. I suggest that you find a highly recommended mechanic to do it on a side, because any shop will absolutely rake you to replace it. Good luck!
Old 11-04-2014
Registered!!

iacivic is an unknown quantity at this point

I have a 03 lx 5spd. And a similar problem code sais misfire in cyl 1234 but i have perfect idle and normal accel. but when get to 4k rpms in 5th it acts like a govenor kicks in and wont accelerate until its back under 4k it also does it in fourth gear. And im not punching it, highway coasting at 80 if i go past 83 engine stops until it gets under 80.