Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

1998 LX Problem AFTER PROBLEM, Coolant Leak Under Car

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2014
CivicLXTillDeath

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
7sugar is an unknown quantity at this point
Post 1998 LX Problem AFTER PROBLEM, Coolant Leak Under Car

So I bought this car from a friends dad,(450$)haha It had a blown head gasket and was overheating all that good stuff. I went in replaced the head gasket and did the timing belt, also the exhaust manifold was cracked i welded that, I didnt replace the water pump but now I'm thinking i should have. All said and done the car runs. Now, i drove it to my house from theirs (20miles) put 50 on the car so far driving around and notice coolant leaking out under the car near the oil pan.. Checked all hoses and deemed them fit.. I just bought a new water pump but the coolant is leaking somewhere under the intake seems like its coming out near the oil filter.. I just am worried about driving it around before i fix this leak.
its a 1998 honda civic lx with 163,xxx on it. What could be causing this leak? I bought a new water pump heard it may be thermostat housing/gasket or the little metal tube getting corroded and busting an o ring, but how could i pinpoint? any advice would be great
it seems like after driving n running a while the leak is worse. My parts are here today hopefully so ill be posting pics along the day.
Old 06-20-2014
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 1998 LX Problem AFTER PROBLEM, Coolant Leak Under Car

notice coolant leaking out under the car

coolant is leaking somewhere under the intake seems like its coming out near the oil filter.

What could be causing this leak?
You need to get in there and see where the leak is coming from.
Get under it if you have to to find it.

Fill the radiator up and see where it leaks out. Put a funnel in the radiator neck?
Old 06-21-2014
CivicLXTillDeath

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
7sugar is an unknown quantity at this point

I looked more today gonna do repairs tomorrow, it looks like its coming out of my valve cover maybe? i got under it and couldn't tell the other day stumped me and a couple buddies but i was parked on a hill today and it was dripping off the frontside, so seems to be coming out of somewhere high up.. not the lower hoses or housing
Old 06-21-2014
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

it looks like its coming out of my valve cover maybe?
Antifreeze cannot leak out of the valve cover.
Keep looking.

Fill the radiator.
Put the cap on
Squeeze the radiator hose to force the leak to squirt out?
Keep looking.