Lighting Use this for all your lighting questions

HID headlight not working?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mikemc422 is an unknown quantity at this point
HID headlight not working?

I just bought a 2000 Civic Ex Coupe, with HID headlights, not sure what brand, and the passenger side headlight isn't working (drivers side is working fine) and the high beams aren't working (not sure if it has them). I don't know what's wrong with the headlights, so i took a picture of that transformer/electric box thingy attached to the headlights (attached)
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	headlight box thingy.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	40.1 KB
ID:	87430  
Old 01-12-2015
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,144 Likes on 799 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute
Re: HID headlight not working?

That little electric box is the ballast/igniter for the hid bulb. Quick question, do you have your setup wired directly to the factory headlight harness or do you have the ballasts receiving power through a relay harness? I'm willing to bet you don't have a relay harness and your passenger side isn't getting enough power, a common problem encountered when *not* using a relay harness.

Also, you do have high beams anymore, unless you did a bi-xenon retrofit. In that case, your high beam would consist of the low beam staying on and the shield on the HID projector dropping.
Old 01-12-2015
Registered!!

I believe it's the factory headlight harness, but I'm not sure, I didnt do it, the headlights were in the car when I bought it (the only thing i've done so far is raise the idle because it was too low). How would I tell the difference between the factory headlight harness and an aftermarket one?
Old 01-12-2015
Administrator
Administrator

xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

follow the wires coming out of the ballast, not the ones going to the bulb, but the power supply ones. If the power supply wires lead to the factory H4 harness, then you have no relay harness.

Alternatively, you can see if there are any obvious aftermarket connections coming off the battery or fuse box to a relay.
Old 01-14-2015
Registered!!

It is the factory headlight harness, what do I do now?
Old 02-07-2015
Registered!!

I've figured out that there is something wrong with the ballast. I am now wondering how hard it would be to switch from the HIDs that are in it to the HIDs that have high and low beams. how hard would it be to make the swap? Do I just have to buy the bulbs and plug them in? Or do I have to replace the entire system? How much labor would be required, and how much would it cost? I am also looking to replace the headlight covers (they're clear now, looking to get black ones) and am wondering if I have to get ones that are made to go with HIDs.
Old 02-09-2015
Registered!!

so, I have had enough with this headlight ****, so instead of selling the car (like I usually would, I've sold cars because the power locks didn't work) I decided to buy a whole new system, because I found a Bi-Xenon Hi/Low beam system on amazon that's usually $250.00 on sale for $60.00 with free shipping (Link:
Amazon.com: XENTEC H4 Flex Bixenon Hi/Lo 6000K Advanced Slim Alloy Ballast HID Xenon Kit (HB2/9003 Ultra White): Automotive Amazon.com: XENTEC H4 Flex Bixenon Hi/Lo 6000K Advanced Slim Alloy Ballast HID Xenon Kit (HB2/9003 Ultra White): Automotive
). I will find out in about a week if these work! I also figured it'd be better to do this being that the replacement ballast is $85.00, and I really need high beams where I live (very rural area, lots of fast, rural, dark high way driving with no other cars to provide light)
Old 02-10-2015
Administrator
Administrator

yeah, still not gonna solve your problem. The HID bulb is still gonna act as a single filament bulb. I will give that kit one thing though; not many kits out there come with casper shields for use in reflector housings.

The only way to get a high beam out of HIDs is to have a bi-xenon projector setup (high beam activation drops a shield in the projector). I've also seen some HID bulbs out there (back in.. 2005... not sure if they're made anymore) that have a small halogen bulb protruding from the base that acts as a separate high beam.

A proper bi-xenon HID retrofit will give you the high beam you desire, and theretrofitsource.com (hereafter "TRS") makes a projector that literally takes no more than an hour to install into OEM H4/HB2/9003 housings. However, you will not be able to use the current HID bulbs, nor the new ones you've posted, with the projectors to which I'm referring.

edit: if you decide to visit TRS, look up the "morimoto mini" projectors. Those are the ones you'd want to get. They come in two flavors: H1 and D2S. Small structural differences, but the major difference is the bulb they use. The H1 version will use a bulb that's a bit easier to find, as it's a rebased HID bulb to fit into H1 headlight housings. The D2S version will allow the use of higher quality (albeit, more expensive) bulbs. For universal ballasts, the latter version will require an amp to D2S conversion pigtail, whereas the former option will act as a plug and play with your current ballasts. I can personally vouch for the quality of TRS's products and customer service.
Old 02-28-2015
Registered!!

danwat12345 has a spectacular aura aboutdanwat12345 has a spectacular aura about

I have a hi/low H4 HID kit on my 1999 Civic and the high beam function works rather well. There is a lot of leakage but when you turn on high beams, the solenoid sucks in the bulb and the light reaches a lot farther. I have the anti-glare shields removed.

BTW, Xentec sucks! They are the cheapest brand, they wouldn't ever be $250.
DDM tuning, or RTS are good brands.
Old 03-24-2015
Registered!!

ali89 is an unknown quantity at this point

So are the DDM Tuning 35w HIDS good or bad? I just want a brighter light and don't want to pay a lot of money but yet don't trust those $20+ kits off ebay. I have a 2006 civic that has shitty lights and just want to replace the high beam..any suggestions?
BTW I'm from Canada so I have to keep an eye out for shipping costs too.
Old 03-24-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/2...-miss-you.html
Old 03-28-2015
Registered!!

I put in the kit that I bought, and the Hi/Low function works perfect, and they've worked since I put them in a few weeks ago, I use the high and low beams every morning on my way to school and every night on my way home from work, and they are insanely bright, and you can definitely tell the difference between high and low.
Old 03-30-2015
Registered!!

danwat12345 has a spectacular aura aboutdanwat12345 has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by ali89
So are the DDM Tuning 35w HIDS good or bad? I just want a brighter light and don't want to pay a lot of money but yet don't trust those $20+ kits off ebay. I have a 2006 civic that has shitty lights and just want to replace the high beam..any suggestions?
BTW I'm from Canada so I have to keep an eye out for shipping costs too.
They are good. Much brighter than stock halogen on a 6th gen civic and should last at least a few years before a bulb goes out. They have the 'ultra' kits now where the bulbs (and ballasts) are supposed to be higher quality.

DDM or 'The Retrofit Source' are reputable, DDM being cheaper.