Lighting Use this for all your lighting questions

Hid help please!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2010
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
musicalcivic is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Hid help please!!!

i have h4 hids for my 98 civic in projector style headlights, the problem is that they don't seem nearly as bright as when in the reflector spot right next to the projector circle, but real problem i have is that most of the light doesnt go in front of the car itself, but to the left and to the right....is this because the projector was built for halogen bulbs and not hids or what, i've tried em in both the projector spot and reflector spot, projector gives a cutoff line but still doesnt really shine much or show much in front of vehicle...which is kinda the point of hids, a guy with halogens was driving next to me and lit up way more than i did.....my headlights pretty much look like this http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/96-98...Q5fAccessories and my hid kit is the ultra slim design ones (h4s) feel free to txt or call me even at 910 977 0142, cuz im at a point of..well i have no idea what to try next...names mario btw.
Old 09-05-2010
Registered!!

sam68 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Hid help please!!!

This is the problem with HID's you are correct it's because they are designed for a halogen bulb. HID's are designed to be used in a projector like new cars have. I just went through this with mine I read a lot about HID's and decided to do it right and buy a kit with projectors and installed them in stock style housings so that I did not have to do a ton of modding. Anyway I got the kit from the retrofit source for $275 (mini moto kit) came with projectors, HID lights, harness, everything you need to do it right. I love them so much brighter than stock and has a really crisp cut off line, looks like a new car.

Last edited by sam68; 09-05-2010 at 01:11 PM.
Old 09-05-2010
Registered!!

also wanted to add that doing HID's without projector housings will give you less light, shoot the light all over the place (and at other oncoming drivers), and will get you a ticket in the end.
Old 09-05-2010
Registered!!

Yeah ima get me sum stock headlights from a friend, n put em in for now, n then when I save up a bit ill get the retro kit 2 put projectors in my stock headlamp, that's what u said right? But yeah thnx 4 ur help
Old 09-05-2010
Registered!!

Yeah I put my retro kit in a set of stock style headlamps JDm blacked out, but you can put them in anything just more work to put them in a halo style lamp lots of dremil, glue and work.
Old 09-05-2010
Registered!!

Can u send me a link 2 where I can get the retro hid kit, I have the hids already, I just need the rest designed 2 work with my hids (h4), and will I have 2 open the lights n stuff like through baking them n whatnot?
Old 09-05-2010
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

check hidplanet.com/forums and retrofitsource.com
Old 09-05-2010
Registered!!

I used a heat gun to open mine only took like a minute going around them. Just dont leave it on one spot too long.
Old 09-07-2010
Registered!!

97EK will become famous soon enough

I have a 97 coupe and have been running HIDs for about 2 years now in the stock housings. I have Hella ballasts and DDM tuning bulbs (H4-3). Believe it or not, the DDM bulbs have a distinct cutoff just like the halogens. Not sure why, but the DDM bulbs work exceptionally well in 6th gen/96-98 stock housings. I say ditch the projectors.
Old 09-07-2010
Registered!!

Originally Posted by 97EK
I have a 97 coupe and have been running HIDs for about 2 years now in the stock housings. I have Hella ballasts and DDM tuning bulbs (H4-3). Believe it or not, the DDM bulbs have a distinct cutoff just like the halogens. Not sure why, but the DDM bulbs work exceptionally well in 6th gen/96-98 stock housings. I say ditch the projectors.
You say that like they are better than projectors and I should actually toss my projectors for them.....not going to happen.