Engine Performance Modifications Post information/questions about Forced Induction, Nitrous, Engine Building and Swaps here.

D17a2 CRX swap, should I do it? Read the entire post

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DevilRocks is an unknown quantity at this point
D17a2 CRX swap, should I do it? Read the entire post

Hey everyone so I had an idea that many people would call crazy and say it shouldn't be done. I would like to put my d17 03 sohc civic motor in an old crx. I always thought it would be cool to have a crx hf for the gas mileage being at 50mpg hwy 40 city, but they did only have 60 hp, and if you need to rebuild them it looks like parts are no longer available. I have an 03 civic I just wrecked, but the engine, transmission, ac system everything else in the car still works good. I was thinking, the 03 civic ex, got 30 city and 40 highway, and that was very consistent. I tested it all the time. The CRX hf weighs about 700lbs less than the 03 ex civic I had. CRX also didn't have power steering, which on a car that small one less thing to fix and suck gas, I'm in. Now with that being said I was thinking given the weight difference, no power steering, and maybe it can bolt up to a crx transmission, maybe even get an intake and get some good headers to take restriction off the engine, that helps on the gas a little too. I'm thinkin if I were to have someone do this swap that I could probably get 50 mpg or atleast better than what I got in the 03 civic. Think about it like this, at this point I'm lookin to squeeze ten more mpg hwy and city out of my old d17 motor in a crx.

I would like some input, I mean I know there are other engines that would be easier to install but I think the d17 has newer fuel saving technology, because keep in mind 90s civics some of them get comparable gas mileage but are lighter weight vehicles. All the post I read on this kind of swap say its not that great for mods but that the d17 is great for gas. Well the hf was made for gas and 127 hp with good gas mileage would be great for me in the crx.

What would I have to buy other than a CRX rolling chassis, maybe a crx hf transmission, would I need motor mounts, how much more would I have to buy? Also note I would be perfectly fine keeping the stock ecu and wiring harness.

Last question is the 50 mpg dream with the d17 motor in a crx realistic?

thanks