Engine Performance Modifications Post information/questions about Forced Induction, Nitrous, Engine Building and Swaps here.

98 Honda Civic DX

Old 02-14-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ssimmons is an unknown quantity at this point
98 Honda Civic DX

Okay I traded a 89 Nissan pickup body for a 98 Civic that suppose to had a B16 swap in it that just needed finishing up. Well i was stupid and didn't look closely because it was wet and raining outside. Well after the rain stop I looked and there is NO b16 but a D15B7 instead It will start and run but lazy off idle then it revs like it's ready to run once it warms up a little. I have 180psi of compression on all cylinders, valves adjusted but i did pull a code P0118 which is Coolant Temperature Circuit high input. Also the coolant temp on my code reader is -40 which is most likely the temp sensor. My main concern is that the car still has the original wire harness and ecm for the V-Tech that was in it. Do i have to change the harness and ecm or can i make it work with whats in it? The car is a father son project to take to the track but have to get it running right before i can do anything to it. Or should i just scrap it and call it a day? Also what other engines would bolt to the transmission in the car now sense there isn't a lot of internal aftermarket parts for the d15b7?
Old 02-14-2016
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Stock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of light
Re: 98 Honda Civic DX

A 98 DX came with a D16y7 non vtec. The D15 is OBD1 and the D16 is OBD2 so I would imagine the ECU needs to be changed.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	d-engines.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	145.4 KB
ID:	88507  
Old 02-14-2016
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Stock 99
A 98 DX came with a D16y7 non vtec. The D15 is OBD1 and the D16 is OBD2 so I would imagine the ECU needs to be changed.
The ecm has V-Tec written on it with a red marker is why i assumed that. I guess i need to get the code odd the ecm to see which it is? If i had the original ecm and changed all the sensors on the d15 over to the d16 sensors would that work?
Old 02-14-2016
Registered!!

The ecm is a P2P-A34 which is a vtec ecm. Could this cause it to be lazy off idle? Also the cylinder head is casting number PM9-2. Any idea what head I have? I have searched and cant find what head it is or off of.
Old 02-15-2016
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Stock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of light

I'm not an expert at this stuff but from some searching I've done it seems reasonable that is the original head on the engine.

Here is some info on ecu and head codes

http://www.d-series.org/forums/1520288-post1.html

If you scanned it and the only error to come up was for coolant temp then the ecu is probably functioning fine with the engine. Chances are the engine is running rich because of the coolant temp sensor error though. Could be the issue with the idle.

I also read some info where someone had swapped the head for a d16y8 on that engine and that would probably be your biggest hp gain short of an engine swap or turbo so that might be worth looking into as well. I don't know what sort of racing you aiming to do so not sure how important hp gains are for you either.
Old 02-23-2016
Registered!!

So I have been reading and want to do a minime swap. Can someone link me to a good thread with details of the swap so I can get the parts together? I'm going to only road race the car so just going to get it running right first then do the swap.