Suspension Performance Modifications Post Suspension related modification information and/or questions here

Advice on Lowering springs.

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Raul112 is an unknown quantity at this point
Advice on Lowering springs.

Hello peeps, just bought a 98 civic lx and been wanting to lower it. However I don't know if I should purchase lowering spring or coilovers? My goal is to better the suspension on the vechile to the point where it rides smooth. Keep in mind I''m a noob to this whole new Civic world but I greatly appreciate the advice and love. So please help a brotha out.

Last edited by Raul112; 03-10-2017 at 09:05 AM. Reason: Grammer
Old 03-10-2017
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold
Re: Advice on Lowering springs.

I have had both and would just get coilovers. They offer so much more adjustability to really fine tune the suspension. The springs were nice at first but I quickly sold them for coilovers.
The following users liked this post:
Vepy (09-10-2020)
Old 03-11-2017
Registered!!

What would be the best site for either one?
Old 03-11-2017
Prelude Owner

GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

Who ever is cheaper. Some sites that come to mind are CarID and Evasive Motorsports. eBay has some sellers, used is always a good option.
Old 03-12-2017
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

thmotorsports

corsport?
Old 03-12-2017
Registered!!

If I buy spring do I have to buy struts to lower it, or do I keep the original ones on?
Old 03-12-2017
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,144 Likes on 799 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

highly recommended you buy new struts. You don't have to, per se, but you will in the near future, depending on how much lowering the springs provide.
Old 03-12-2017
Registered!!

I also read that it would be better to buy a chamber kit along with the springs and struts, since the alignment would be off once lowered. What I read was BS? Or the guy actually had some sense behind his article?

Also Is there any brand y'all recommend? My budget would range anywhere from 100-500
Old 03-12-2017
Administrator
Administrator

xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

what does that budget include....?

and yes, when you lower the car, camber will go off. Camber kit if you wanna save money on tires.
Old 03-12-2017
Registered!!

Well at first my budget was $300 (max) just for springs. Not knowing the information I know now. So now my budget would consist of $650 max for springs., Struts and camber kit, I just want to lower my Civic about an inch or so. But I guess in doing so I would need all the above.
Old 03-12-2017
Administrator
Administrator

Here was my first setup, with approximate prices I paid. My car is a 2002 coupe

Tein s-tech springs, ~150 (gave me ~1.5" drop)
Tokico HP struts, ~500
SPC camber kit, ~130
Old 03-12-2017
Prelude Owner

Originally Posted by xRiCeBoYx
SPC camber kit, ~130
I can help with this. I have a used set I can sell you.

For that budget you could possibly get some Tein coilovers.
Old 03-13-2017
Administrator
Administrator

Dont think they'll fit OP's car, nate. OP has a 98 LX
Old 03-13-2017
Registered!!

"Radom stupid" question here lol, what's the different between choosing springs over the coilovers? Obviously, the price being one but product wise?

Btw nice set up. I actually narrowed my options to tein springs but haven't actually finalized it. I did buy a cold air intake though 🤔 Lol
Old 03-13-2017
Prelude Owner

Coilovers replace the springs and the shocks all in one where with springs you can choose not to replace the shocks though it is highly recommended. Coilovers allow you more adjustability as you can adjust the ride height to suit your needs/weather. I found that springs did not go low enough for me and the car could handle being lower with the roads that I drive on daily. Some coilovers allow for separate preload adjustment as well as height. For starting out springs may be all you ever need but if you like the flush look, want the tire tucking or want adjustability then I would recommend coilovers.

Originally Posted by xRiCeBoYx
Dont think they'll fit OP's car, nate. OP has a 98 LX
Smacks self in head! You are right, silly me.
Old 01-28-2020
Registered!!

oilspot is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm gonna catch some heat for this, but run some damn ebay coilover sleeves. When You've got everything apart check your struts to make sure they give you good, smooth resistance in the compression as well as rebound stroke. If you're gonna slam it, run tophats to keep the struts from bottoming out (and killing the struts). You will want camber adjustment, if you're gonna slam the thing, but if you're only going down 1-2" you'll be fine.
This is of course, if it's just a daily driver type street vehicle. Not anytype of track vehicle.
Yes they are going to be a higher spring rate than stock. I've personally found this to work well on a street car.
If later you want to play with spring rates you can get different springs that fit, with no modification, the cheepo ebay coilover struts.

Now, if you must go FULL coilovers, I personally would stay away from anything ebay.