Suspension Performance Modifications Post Suspension related modification information and/or questions here

Struts on 2000 ex

Old 10-19-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arkenbrien is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Struts on 2000 ex

Hello,

I have a 2000 honda civic with 200k on it, still going strong...ish.

I'm not much of a car guy, so when after taking it to the dealer for some maintenance, and they said give us $1300 (plus 79.99 for alignment) to replace the struts otherwise the car will fall unto itself, I did do more than a little panicking. After all, they said, they should be replaced every 140k miles, and I had gone for 200k on stock struts. I couldn't afford 1379.99 at the time, so I - very carefully - took my poor civic home.

I then took it to my local car mechanic, and he said that while yes they were old, they weren't going to explode or anything, but he'll do a complete service for 700 when I decided to do something about it.

That was a couple thousand miles ago. It's going to need to be replaced soon, and I might as well start planning for it sooner rather than later.

So what do you suggest? Will buying the struts myself save me any money? Where would I get them?

Thanks.
Old 10-19-2015
Super Moderator

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts
Poopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Struts on 2000 ex

Originally Posted by Arkenbrien
So what do you suggest? Will buying the struts myself save me any money? Where would I get them?
Thanks.
It depends on the struts you buy and the ones the mechanic wants to use. If you want cheapies, it'll be a lot less but you get what you pay for. You can buy a complete set of Tokico HP struts/shocks (generally considered the best OEM replacement) on Ebay for between $400-$600. Remember that you'll probably want to replace the mounting hardware so you don't have to take everything off again, but that won't be too expensive.
Old 10-19-2015
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Poopies
Remember that you'll probably want to replace the mounting hardware so you don't have to take everything off again, but that won't be too expensive.
Okay, thanks.

What exactly is involved in the mounting hardware?

Pardon my n00bness.
Old 10-19-2015
Super Moderator

Poopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of light

I'm talking about some of the parts here: http://estore.honda.com/honda/parts/...++30&dl=206925

The bases (Number 9) in particular. The bump stop and collar too maybe. Use your best judgment, but remember that you probably only want to do the job once if you do it yourself.

Here's a link to the front: http://estore.honda.com/honda/parts/...++28&dl=206925
Old 10-19-2015
Registered!!

Okay, thanks.

So basically, it looks like I might as well replace the entire assembly.

_____

I found this on amazon and ebay:
Amazon.com: Yonaka Honda Civic 96-00 EK Spec 1 Full Coilovers Suspension Shocks Springs Struts JDM USDM: Automotive Amazon.com: Yonaka Honda Civic 96-00 EK Spec 1 Full Coilovers Suspension Shocks Springs Struts JDM USDM: Automotive

It looks like to me it has everything associated with the suspension.
Old 10-19-2015
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

on the 00, front double wishbone, so if being a$$ tight in semantics, they would be shocks or dampers. But them again, it's just semantics

Top hats are one thing that *could* clunk after a suspension work, so recommend just going and do the change - easier done once. Yes, do all parts that will involve removing the shocks/rear struts, especially ones that have rubber parts.

another that are famous for causing clunks, clanks, etc are the sway bar endlinks (anti-roll bar, since i was being a$$ in semantics before :P) . Good thing is that these does not require removing the shocks/struts, so you could just leave them and change if they make noise.

Ah, better let the shop know that civics could make suspension noises if springs are not "indexed" correctly - there's a certain position that they are supposed to be placed. Can't remember if this would apply on the 2000, though, with the double wishbone... Anyway, if this is true to 2000 models, the top hat should have an arrow to place the spring.
Old 10-19-2015
Super Moderator

Ah, forgot about that double wishbone setup. Totes jelly
Old 10-19-2015
Registered!!

So should I replace the double wishbones as well, since I'm in there?
Old 10-19-2015
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

If you can align the car, no, no need. Depends on if bushings are ok though
Old 10-20-2015
Registered!!

I really appreciate all the advice you've given me.

I found this: www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009R6ZNAA

It seems like it has everything associated with the suspension that was mentioned.

Is this a good buy?

I found some replacement parts, just the struts, that ran about 50 a piece, so about 200 for a full set. But obviously, the rest of parts will have to be commandeered from the old suspension. So if I were to take it into the shop to be done, would it save me a whole lot if I bought something like I linked above over having the mechanics disassemble/reassemble the suspension in terms of labor?

Thanks
Old 11-10-2015
Registered!!

old97civic is an unknown quantity at this point

Probably too late but wanted to leave a nugget of info for any others that may find this thread...

On old cars like these, and depending on where you live (ie salted roads), there is a high probability that the bolts that connect the shocks/struts to the other suspension components will be seized in the bushings and may be difficult if not impossible to remove. In my case I replaced the rears and ended up having to cut off the welded nut on the trailing arm (broke the head of the bolt off) and replacing the control arm (bolt was free from nut but was seized inside bushing). This means new bolts would be required as well.