Suspension Performance Modifications Post Suspension related modification information and/or questions here

EJ8 sedan suspension HELP!!?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EJ8D is an unknown quantity at this point
Question EJ8 sedan suspension HELP!!?

Hi, I'm new to this forum I dont know how active this is because i usually use a facebook group which everyone is rude and loves to hate.

MY question is this:
I have a ej8 sedan ex.
i want to lower it because it's never been lowered.
it's my first time lowering a car.
I bought no brand coil overs but nver installed them because people told me they get bouncy and dangerous.
I researched a little and I think I'm going to buy some eibach lowering springs

My budget right now is 310$

So I found that eibach is pretty reputable and popular throughout internet.

I found 2 types of lowering springs:

prokit and sportline

pro kit gives less of a drop while sportline gives more of a drop

I want to get the most drop out of my money at the moment
I dont want to buy extra things such as camber kit or anything like that I just want to go lower.

will i need a camber kit for sportline? or should I just get the prokit? do i need camber kit for the prokit? help me.

also one more question:
Is this possible? I had no brand adjustable coil overs worth 50$ what if i ought the eibach springs and replace the springs from the coilovers to eibach will that become adjustable?

thanks in advance
Old 02-23-2015
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of
Re: EJ8 sedan suspension HELP!!?

the springs might bring the shocks to an early death.
it might become as bouncy as the no-brand coilovers.
budget for shocks with the springs.
Old 02-23-2015
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

Eibach is a great suspension company and they would be a good choice. The issue with just buying springs is that they stock struts can't handle higher spring rates and they end up going bad sooner or creating a crappy ride. It is best to always upgrade both at the same time. Camber kits are never "required" but recommend if you don't want to burn through tires.

Really the best thing would be to save up a little more money and get a proper setup. For adjustability and budget check out Ground Control. They make adjustable sleeves and use Eibach springs. You pair these with a set of Koni shocks and you are set. Tokico shocks are good also but Koni's are good for a bigger drop.

Swapping the Eibach springs onto the adjustable coilovers you have would not be a good idea. The valving on the shock is probably garbage and it will ride like crap even with better springs. You want good springs paired with good shocks.
Old 02-24-2015
Registered!!

@sdaidoji @GolNat, thanks for your wonderful replies, you see I'm kind of new into this car tunning thing and I'm not very good at it yet. So far as my plans are; I'm just going for the looks atm and I am probably on a strict budget so I need to get some decent brands that will be a good shot for as cheap as possible, I don't want anything to crazy to race or anything. As far as I know I already have 300$ saved up ready to drop them on the eibach springs. now my question is?

What kind of set up do I need for my ride to run properly without any problems such as you guys commented about early death of my shocks.

I need your guidance on what; set up to buy, what brand to buy that best accomodates my situation.

Money is not the problem I will save for months to get it but I don't want to over do it with something too expensive which I will only use to drive daily.

Please provide me with the part names that I need to buy and brands/ cheers ! and thanks ahead of time
Old 02-24-2015
PITA Admin
Administrator

sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

that's the thing...
when using decent springs, such as the eibach (they work well for the civic 7th gen, unsure for the 6th gen), they will need to be stiffer, so they will not bottom out when lower (less travel, AKA, less space until the spring hits minimum length).

but, when you increase stiffness, it will make the shocks work harder (shocks are there to hold the spring from moving, so the stronger the spring, the more the shock suffers). Therefor, stock shocks will not be enough anymore. The cheaper ones usually does not have the shocks strong enough to hold the spring, so the spring will do what it is supposed to do - boingo, bongo.

not much ways around...
Old 02-25-2015
Registered!!

@sdaidoji so far i've gathered 200$more, i now have 500$ what do you recommend on lowering my car without having problems while i drive daily? (: I heard some function form coil overs not sure tho im a newbie
Old 02-25-2015
Registered!!

what if i buy these. will i have problems? and if i buy the sportline version will i need camber kit?

Old 02-27-2015
PITA Admin
Administrator

up to 2 inches drop, you don't need camber kits, so you safe, unless something is bent (possible to happen in our aging cars...)
concerning coilovers, sorry, i have a 7th gen, so my suspension is quite different than yours, unsure of what works well.

hopefully someone with 6th gen knowledge will butt in.
Old 03-29-2015
Registered!!

bluejays26 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, I have the prokit installed with Koni Orange, the drop is about one inch all around. Just an alignment after the installation (no camber kit). The ride quality is great. I suggest you upgrade the shocks and the spring at the same time.

See the pic below:

Name:  IMG_9524_zpsbqvfj2ae.jpg
Views: 571
Size:  199.3 KB

Name:  IMG_9481_zps2wcegrsj.jpg
Views: 551
Size:  179.4 KB
Old 04-09-2015
Registered!!

droppedcivic303 is an unknown quantity at this point

it's a good idea to do struts along with springs. Tein type s springs are pretty good from the price, eibach pro are awesome, also skunk 2's are great. keep in mind the lower you go, youll need camber and caster adjustment. if you go tein type h or eibach pro it will give a better cornering and won't have extreme drop height to mess with your camber/caster. Either way after you drop your car you'll need an alignment or you'll destroy your tires.

cheers and good luck buddy!
Old 04-09-2015
Registered!!

droppedcivic303 is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE=bluejays26;4681613]Hi, I have the prokit installed with Koni Orange, the drop is about one inch all around. Just an alignment after the installation (no camber kit). The ride quality is great. I suggest you upgrade the shocks and the spring at the same time.

that sedan is clean! nice ride with the si wheels!
Old 04-09-2015
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Stock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by droppedcivic303
that sedan is clean! nice ride with the si wheels!
ditto...that is a nice looking Civic. I looked for those rims for a month without any lucky before I bought my alloys.
Old 04-13-2015
Registered!!

bluejays26 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Stock 99
ditto...that is a nice looking Civic. I looked for those rims for a month without any lucky before I bought my alloys.

Thank you for the comment
Old 04-13-2015
PITA Admin
Administrator

the eibach pro-system...
i think we don't have enough data on these...
what is comfortable or bearable to some are not so for others...
and some high end systems could be great. or not.
and eibach is great for 7th gen civics, but badly looked at in miata world...

someone need to get them and be the guinea pig...

to clarify, the mazda miata have a very short suspension travel compared to the civic, so it usually rides on the bumpstops, AKA, it bottoms out all the time... so an inch in drop requires double the spring rate to keep car from bottoming out... when you do it, the stiffer spring will bring an early death to the overwhelmed shock trying to hold the stiffer spring to go boingo, boingo.

hard thing, to change the suspension... have seen some reviews that the owner was pretty happy, but he had no idea that a higher end suspension would make the car lower, faster and comfortable.

meanwhile, the guy paid for a hellaflush 300 buck suspension, was going boingo, boingo, crashed in the bumpstops all the time and reported the suspension to be great. but to his mind he thought he was faster, but he would actually be slower than some stock rated suspension...

so, hard to evaluate internet opinion/reviews, unless you rode in the car with it installed.

funny thing? some guys bought ebay coilovers and started experimenting and found out a few cheap kits that could pair a good set of shocks and be quite fast and comfortable. but then, they tried themselves and found the solution