Suspension Performance Modifications Post Suspension related modification information and/or questions here

ebay "coilovers"

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jfudge01 is an unknown quantity at this point
ebay "coilovers"

Ok so im new to my 97 ex coupe and the left side of the car rides 1.5 inches lower than the right. Im fairly sure I need new springs, or struts or both.
Now I know you usually get what you pay for, but I am wondering if anybody here has actually used the type pictured here
http://www.ebay.com/itm/RED-JDM-Adjustable-Suspension-FRONT-REAR-Coilover-Lowering-Spring-Sleeve-Kit-/111068711521?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item19dc360a61&vxp=mtr
Also, to further my lack of knowledge about my car, I am right to assume I have struts all the way around correct? The reason I ask is because I thought coilovers only worked with shocks.

Also, im not a racer just a guy that wants my car to ride at an equal height all around. I assume there wilk be a fluery of "dont buy ebay..." which is okay but I would like specific examples as to why if you could enlighten me. Thanks!
Old 05-08-2014
Registered!!

Re: ebay "coilovers"

I would also like to know, if I am going to have my car sit lower (I find 1-2 inches lower to be pretty cooo looking) do I need to replace the control arms and get camber kits.
Or will it still be ok?
Old 05-09-2014
Super Moderator

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts
Poopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of light

Yes, with suspension parts cost usually correlates to quality in most cases. I would trust that cheapo set about HALF as far as I could throw it, and I'm no baseball player. My guess is that your car either has its original springs cut (a horrible way to lower a car) or a crappy aftermarket set. OEM springs are pretty tough and last a LONG time. There are plenty of good options out there. Just search the forums a bit!

Originally Posted by Jfudge01
I would also like to know, if I am going to have my car sit lower (I find 1-2 inches lower to be pretty cooo looking) do I need to replace the control arms and get camber kits.
Or will it still be ok?
It depends on who you talk to, but probably not for the 1 inch drop, probably so for the 2 inch.

Originally Posted by Jfudge01
Ok so im new to my 97 ex coupe and the left side of the car rides 1.5 inches lower than the right. Im fairly sure I need new springs, or struts or both.
Struts/shocks reduce the "bounciness" of your ride so that it's more comfortable. Here's a car with no rear shocks slamming the brakes. I LOVE this vid!

The springs are the things actually pushing down on the wheels. If you want to lower the car, you get a set of lowering springs. If you're using shocks/struts made for stock ride height (i.e. OEM), they might not be able to handle the increased compression since they will have less room with which to work. Manufacturers usually list drop distances so it's relatively easy to find a spring/strut combo.
Coilovers (especially adjustable ones) are usually the preferred option because they combine the best of both worlds. They can also get REALLY expensive.
Do yourself a favor: save up for something nice. You and your passengers won't regret it.

Last edited by Poopies; 05-09-2014 at 03:16 PM. Reason: Added stuff
Old 05-09-2014
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

Your springs will break and the rates won't match between them.

Save up and get some Ground Controls. Or go to a junk yard and get OE springs.
Old 05-09-2014
Whachya lookin at?

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

Look at some coilover failures and you will be scared away from these. Failure could result in death. Save up and get good ones.
Old 05-09-2014
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

no mention of spring rates makes me worry, first of all...

2nd, about you car heights, could be anything making that happen. See this guy here, for example.

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/2...ken-strut.html

lift car and inspect to see what is causing it first, could not even be about springs or shocks.
Ah, to answer the "strut", your car have front double wish bones, so technically it's called shocks.
Old 05-16-2014
Registered!!

Thank you for all your help guys. I did some research on bad coilovers and am weary of these.
The question I have now, is just so I know what im getting into..if I am going to lower my car 2 inches, then what all do I need to replace?
Upper control arms, lower control arms, or both? Anything else?
Old 05-16-2014
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

the ones sold as adjustable would be good to adjust camber (believe they were the uppers on the front)