Suspension Performance Modifications Post Suspension related modification information and/or questions here

2000 Civic LX Eibach Pro-kit review + links to DIY for you guys :)

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
kyle_l88 will become famous soon enoughkyle_l88 will become famous soon enough
2000 Civic LX Eibach Pro-kit review + links to DIY for you guys :)

Hey guys, so I know after looking around a ton before hand that there were no really good threads that just go over the Eibach Pro kit and its feel/performance etc. I figured since I just installed mine I would get something up here on the forums for anyone else looking for a good set of springs/struts for a good price. That and some pics that will show the approximate drop on a 2000 civic sedan.

Initial Impressions:
First thing I want to say is that this kit is GREAT for Daily driving. Initial impressions are that it feels about 20-25% stiffer than stock but the corning capability is amazing compared to stock struts/springs. Overall its very comfortable and body roll is very much reduced, only on hard cornering is where you will see body roll. This could have to do with the fact I am in a sedan and its heavier too.

With that being said here is some pics of the front. Will get the rear up next weekend when I get a chance and a full shot.
Here is what the car looks like before:

And the front after (like I said, will get the full pic up when I take it this weekend):

My Conclusions on the product:
Overall it went from about 3.5-4 fingers gap down to about a SNUG 2 fingers. But as time goes on it seems to be more like 1.5 fingers gap. Overall for the sedan it seems like it was as advertised for drop. Perfect for my needs as my wife drives the car too. That and the handling versus 200K km old struts is like night and day . I also think it looks much cleaner now and the wheel gap looks much better.

With that being said I paid about 550 Canadian (I had hookups for this but Nextmod in Markham Canada sells the kit for 600 cash, great set of guys there too) for this prokit that included 4 springs, 4 struts and the hardware included in the eibach prokit (bumpers, washers etc.). Even for 600 (and even cheaper in the US I hear) its a great kit and overall increases handling while giving your car a much nicer appearance. And the ride quality I would say is relatively the same to stock as they are progressive springs.

Pro-kit vs. the Sportline kit:
Okay so you may also be wondering about the sportline package. The sportline package is stiffer than this and from what I hear it is around 0.5-1 finger gap between the tread and the fender. More aggressive and stiffer than stock for sure. I hear very good things about the Sportline kit (struts and springs) like this kit but with the sportline springs instead. They claim a 2" drop all around. If you think these pics aren't low enough I would definitely suggest you opt for the sportline kit as its about the same price but is lower/stiffer and still good for Daily driving as far as I hear. Just less ride quality. Again for any of you guys in the Greater Toronto Area Nextmod is an excellent place to get a quote from. The owner is a great guy and they are VERY fair there, plus they do cash which saves you the tax.

DIY Guides for 1996-2000 civics:
Here is some links to DIY guides for this as I used them to replace the set myself. I'm going to say this right now, if you don't have access to some sort of impact wrench I would avoid this task as it is quite difficult with just wrenches/sockets etc.

Video links (great videos, show you what you need to do for 1996-2000 civic):
Front: [autostream]http://autostream.com/ibcivicforums/?page_type=firebirdplayerthumbnail&framepage=1403& transactionid=1368465715-1992464054&posted_by=_www.civicforums.com&youtube_ video_id=t66YvKXlRF8[/autostream]
Rear:
* These apply to all models of these years as far as i know *

Writeup for rear as the lower bolts for the control arm and strut seem to be the hardest part to get out: http://imclumzy.wordpress.com/2009/0...nsion-install/

Some questions you might be thinking:
Q. How much camber will this create and do I need a camber kit?
A. As per many of the threads around here the general consensus is that you don't really NEED a camber kit unless you want to run serious camber or fix serious camber (ie. you drop your car on coil overs 4 inches). Get an alignment after on your toe setting and you will be fine with these struts/springs. Overall my camber is approx -1.25 degrees front and about -2.5 degrees rear which is very close to within spec on this car. Now I will be adding forged washers to space the back camber to get it around -1.5 degrees because I like even front/rear camber.

Q. How much lower is it?
A. As per above, its about 2-2.5 fingers lower or about 1.5 inches on the front, and the rear is around 2 fingers or 1 inch lower.

Q. How long does it take to DIY?
A. With full air tools it took me about 4 hours but I didn't rush and had help/took breaks. Taking your time is key to making sure you don't mess anything up. I'd recommend getting an electric impact wrench at least if you are going to attempt this. They can be found for around 50-100 and will save your life on many other jobs too.

Q. Did you get stuck on anything during this job?
A. Yes actually, I had to wait a few days to do the rear as the lower bolt that connects the strut to the rear lower control arm was completely seized. Luckily Eibach gives you new hardware to attach the strut to the lower control arm so I cut the bolt off that and replaced the bolt with the new one they gave me. Now a HUGE help here would have been to use penetrating oil everyday for a week or so leading up to this job. It will make your life SO much easier, I cannot stress that stuff enough. Here is what it looks like: http://www.expeditionexchange.com/bl...r003%20027.jpg

If you guys have any other questions about the job or the product feel free to contact me via pm. To be honest you can save yourself a ton of money if you install it yourself, provided you have access to tools and another guy or two to help . Hopefully this thread helps some of you on deciding whether or not you want this kit.

PS. I Will try to get more pics up. Better ones so you can see the whole car etc. this weekend.
Old 05-13-2013
Whachya lookin at?

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 2000 Civic LX Eibach Pro-kit review + links to DIY for you guys :)

Looks great what type of shocks are you running?
Old 05-13-2013
Registered!!

It may not have been clear from above but the Eibach Pro-Kit is actually Eibach Pro springs and their Pro Dampers. So like I said, pretty good price for the set
Old 05-13-2013
Whachya lookin at?

BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

Whoops missed that awesome Lucky 6th gen guy.
Old 05-20-2013
Registered!!

Okay figured I'd post this now. Finally got it all finished up.
Here is the before pic:

And the after pic:

BTW nice rims BlueEM2. I saw them on another thread
Old 05-26-2013
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

nice writeup
Old 05-26-2013
Whachya lookin at?

It looks much nicer after the drop.
Old 07-30-2013
Registered!!

MrPajarito is an unknown quantity at this point

What size are your wheels and tires? Will the drop be noticable on my ride? I still dont know what to get... https://www.civicforums.com/forums/2...ml#post4645358
Old 07-30-2013
Registered!!

MrPajarito is an unknown quantity at this point

do you think this kit will cover my needs? heres a link to pics of my car https://www.civicforums.com/forums/2...ml#post4645358
Old 08-22-2013
eddB

eddB is an unknown quantity at this point

What is the size of your rim and tire Bro?
Old 11-10-2013
Registered!!

Ratpick is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey thanks for the write-up! This is exactly the kit I was thinking about, and was curious if I could find anything about it. Although, I am considering doing it with the front and rear antisway bars also- which should take care of some more body roll. But glad to hear it's not too stiff or bouncy.
Old 01-31-2014
Registered!!

Originally Posted by eddB
What is the size of your rim and tire Bro?
My bad I didnt see this until now.
They are 17" rims, tires are 215/40/17. In my opinion they are too big of rims, I would much rather get a 16" but Im stuck with these for now. I picked up an SiR recently (US Si 1999), and it has the SiR rims which are 15 and I think they look bomb.
Old 01-31-2014
Whachya lookin at?

I think the rims look great the way they are. You could use some bigger brakes to fill them and it would be really awesome.
Old 02-18-2014
Registered!!

Originally Posted by BlueEM2
I think the rims look great the way they are. You could use some bigger brakes to fill them and it would be really awesome.
Yeah I think they look okay. Now my wife has this car, so I wont be doing much more work like that on it lol. I picked up a low mileage 99 civic SiR (US Si) in mint condition. That has much nicer brakes to work with haha.
Old 10-01-2015
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Mad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to all

Thanks for the review, I have been eyeballing that kit for a while now.