Suspension Performance Modifications Post Suspension related modification information and/or questions here

98 honda civic ex coupe lowered

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AngelAssassin is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy 98 honda civic ex coupe lowered

i recently replaced my suspension (shocks, control arms, ball joints, springs) on my car and am having some issues trying to find alignment specs for a lowered civic. i also went from 195/60-14 wheels to 205/45-16 wheels. needless to say i didnt realize my car was going to be sitting 6" off the ground when i was under the impression that i had 25mm room for adjustments. i was told it was an automatic 1.5 inch drop but it feels like i lost a total of 3-4" O.O ok...so i guess my question is what can i do to either raise my car at least an inch and/or keep my tires from getting chewed up by my wheel wheels and still manage to drive straight at speeds higher than 60mph without feeling like im driving drunk....sober?
Old 04-08-2011
Autocross Padawan

Zeferint is a glorious beacon of lightZeferint is a glorious beacon of lightZeferint is a glorious beacon of lightZeferint is a glorious beacon of lightZeferint is a glorious beacon of lightZeferint is a glorious beacon of lightZeferint is a glorious beacon of light
Re: 98 honda civic ex coupe lowered

any pictures? im having a bit of a hard time picturing this.. so you're saying the wheel is basically hitting the top of the wheel well because you dropped it so much? what kind of springs/shocks did you get?
Old 04-10-2011
Registered!!

civicexracer will become famous soon enough

I'm a little unclear..

Did you replace your suspension with aftermarket parts? If so, what did you get?

There are no specific alignment specs for a lowered car. Generally you would want to set your toe within factory spec. Camber generally isn't an issue with these generation civics unless you are lowered more than ~2.5inches.

The tires on your new wheels are the correct size, there should not have been any ride height change by changing your wheels.
Old 04-12-2011
Registered!!

I will post pictures as soon as I figure out how to here.

I put on Koni sport struts. H&R springs. Skunk 2 upper control arms. The wheels look tucked under the wheel well when straight. If you turn the wheel they appear to barely clear the fender...just as long as I don't make a sharp turn.

(I'll post pictures as soon as I can)
Old 04-13-2011
Registered!!

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?fbid=10150090100773536&id=768593535&aid= 281353#!/photo.php?fbid=10150131489148536&set=a.10150090100 773536.281353.768593535&type=1&theater

this is the back view.... dont know if this link works but i will get another picture up to show the front wheel
Old 04-13-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

upload pic to your profile or use photobucket photo hosting or similar... Instructions are here.

I am in no mood to sign-in and then login to facebook just to see your pics.

Last edited by sdaidoji; 04-13-2011 at 07:55 PM.
Old 04-13-2011
Registered!!

Gotcha....
I forgot about photobucket.

Thanks. I'll get those up this weekend.
Old 04-13-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

OK!
Not to bash, but not everyone would like to login facebook in the middle
Old 04-17-2011
Registered!!

Let's see if this works

Name:  0ebb4e15.jpg
Views: 1186
Size:  132.7 KB

Name:  011e061c.jpg
Views: 960
Size:  72.4 KB

Name:  6160638c.jpg
Views: 1252
Size:  122.4 KB
Old 04-17-2011
Whachya lookin at?

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

Seems your rear end is higher than your front. What kind of lowering system are you running?
Old 04-17-2011
Registered!!

I put Koni sports struts and H&R springs on. They are at the highest adjustments. Then I went from 14" to 16" wheels which are a little wider. I softened the dampers about a half turn to make the ride softer so I didn't feel every bump. I just want to be able to raise the front end about an inch. But my main concern is the steering. I've got the camber set -1.5 and the toe -0.1. The caster is completely off. I have one wheel back farther than the other.
Old 04-17-2011
Whachya lookin at?

BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

Hmm... your absolutely sure its at the maximum height? That front end looks like its been dropped 3-4" as you said. I wonder if your struts are having issues already
Old 04-17-2011
Registered!!

Oh the rears have 3 pre settings. Fronts have two.
Old 04-17-2011
Whachya lookin at?

Well.. I don't think your going to get fender rub because being that low the suspension must be really stiff... so maybe lower the rears to match the fronts for now.. Get your struts checked out to make sure they are still okay because the drop is a lot lower than you expected. How much of a drop are the struts rated for? If they are too low they can blow quickly.
Old 04-17-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

RU sure you did not put the front/rear springs inversed?
Old 04-21-2011
Registered!!

Originally Posted by tbohar
Hmm... your absolutely sure its at the maximum height? That front end looks like its been dropped 3-4" as you said. I wonder if your struts are having issues already
Good or bad shocks have no affect on ride height. Shocks only control movement. Springs are what determine ride height.

There is an exception for the Koni shocks though! You can adjust the ride height a bit with the Koni shocks by changing the location of the spring perch up or down. This type of ride height adjustment is not found with other shocks...

Originally Posted by AngelAssassin

Oh the rears have 3 pre settings. Fronts have two.
You said you have all of the shocks at their highest ride height setting? This is most likely your problem. The front shocks should have the circlip on the top(highest) setting. The rear however should have the circlip in the MIDDLE setting.

Here are some pictures to help you visualize and for those who don't know what I am talking about or aren't familiar with Koni shocks.

Your rear is probably on the top setting right? Try moving the circlip down one setting and see how the car sits. Just be very careful not to break the circlip when you change the setting.

I'm not 100% sure but I can only imagine when you drop the rear down, the front will raise up a bit. This will give you a bit more positive camber up front giving you less issues. However, do not worry about camber. Just get your toe set and you will be fine.

Originally Posted by tbohar
Well.. I don't think your going to get fender rub because being that low the suspension must be really stiff... so maybe lower the rears to match the fronts for now.. Get your struts checked out to make sure they are still okay because the drop is a lot lower than you expected. How much of a drop are the struts rated for? If they are too low they can blow quickly.
Those springs are not very stiff and you can rub your fenders with soft or stiff springs. Wheels size and offset play a more important role in determining whether you will rub on your fenders or not.

Originally Posted by sdaidoji
RU sure you did not put the front/rear springs inversed?
The springs might be on the right way. The ride height settings on the shocks just might be off.
Old 04-21-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

hun, did not know the koni's for civics had the same adjustment - they have on miatas, but this is the first time i see the civic version, to be honest...

And i need to say that if the shocks are too stiff, they actually let the spring down but not up... My AGX actually lower the left rear corner - jacked down by the damper when i set it stiff... When i set 3 (of four), the height increases in the rear.

Last edited by sdaidoji; 04-21-2011 at 05:58 PM.
Old 04-21-2011
Registered!!

I know the Koni's for '92-'00 Civics have the ride height adjustment, I THINK the 4th gen civics also have it. '01+ uses McPherson suspension so there is no ride height adjustment on the shocks for them. Koni uses inserts for the factory struts.
Old 04-22-2011
Registered!!

Thanks everyone. I'll be working on these suggestions this week and will update the results.
Old 05-01-2011
Registered!!

Ok. Put my car in the air. Before im able to make adjustments I noticed my tires inner tread is gone. I'm told I have too much positive toe...basically Im dragging my rear tires. I've only had these on 4 weeks. I'm told I need to replace the upper control arms in the back with adjustable ones for the toe. But I also need the part for adjustable camber. Anyone have suggestions for parts/websites? Be much appreciated. Thanks!
Old 05-01-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

?
Does the upper arm provide toe changes too? different than a 7th gen, it does not have the hub/knuckle portion, so i guess it could change the angle? Usually for 7th gen the upper arm changes only the camber, but 6th gen have a full arm working as knuckles. It could change the actual angle of the arm, thus change the toe?
Name:  6gspringinstall14.jpg
Views: 2419
Size:  37.2 KB
Now note below that there is no "knuckle type - the arm itself holds the hub/drum.
Old 05-01-2011
Whachya lookin at?

LoL so much for me pretending to be a suspension expert.. lots of good advice here now I think I'll stick to engine stuff from now on
Old 05-01-2011
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud of

Yes, upper and lower adjustable arms are needed to adjust toe like that. Right now the front of the wheels are pointing towards the outside of the car and adjusting the arms to push the rear of the wheels out solves that. Numbers #4, 9, and 10 need to be replaced with adjustable ones: http://www.honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=1998336

Basically it's buy adjustable arms for $200 or buy a whole new suspension package (OEM) for just the rear for about $1000. Check here for good aftermarket parts dealers: http://www.honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=1998336

BTW:I don't know if they make adjustable for the 7th gens but they do make aftermarket ones that are reported to lenghten or shorten that piece. They replace this part of the arm:
Name:  rearlowerarm.jpg
Views: 1053
Size:  66.1 KB
*Notice the star bolts. I hate star bolts. lol.

Last edited by lazlong; 05-01-2011 at 07:02 PM.
Old 05-01-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

Lazlong, note that OP is 6th gen - rear is similar, but diff enough to mind a thought. our toe adjustment bolt is right at your forearm.
Old 05-01-2011
Registered!!

lazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud of

Yeah, it only adjusts +/-1 degree, right? Is that enough when you drop it? I've got spring sag (again) and I needed the adjustable uppers with +/-3 degrees.
Old 05-01-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

?
non, the arms are supposed to adjust only the camber, they are almost straight above the same line as the toe bolt mounting bolts, so the upper arm in the 7th are not supposed to provide much toe changes. they are supposed to change mostly camber, aside the trailling arm bushings deflection.

The toe excentric bolts will just change the angle of the rear "knuckle/hub".

Trailing arm (hub/knuckle, toelinks removed)

An extended toe link will make the rear camber go up (negatively) by forcing the trailing arm out, shorter will reduce neg camber
On the 6th gen, the trailing arm itself is the "knuckle/hub", so you need to push the trailing arm out ior in to adjust toe, i would guess, unless the bolt indicated a s 14mm above is excentric.

Last edited by sdaidoji; 05-01-2011 at 07:25 PM.
Old 05-01-2011
Registered!!

I understand about the camber on the upper arms. Whether the hub is bolted on or is the trailing arm itself they act the same- they both pivot at the front of the trailing arm when you increase or decrease the length of the upper and lower arms (toe). What I'm saying is if it's extreme and you try to adjust toe with the lower arm only it won't work. You have to adjust the top arm also.

I think we have 2 people who know what they're talking about going around in circles. I hope your getting this angelassassin. Anyways, follow the link for parts.
Old 05-02-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

^ lol! yeah!
Old 05-02-2011
Registered!!

Originally Posted by sdaidoji
Show me more of that exhaust pipe/muffler. Why the crazy bends?
Old 05-02-2011
Registered!!

barbixy is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Re: 98 honda civic ex coupe lowered

I'm sorry for this question, but I just got a nice 98 Civic HX, and would like to lower it. I have no clue where to start, or how to even do that. I'm not a mechanic, so I was wondering if someone can recommend a shop in LA or Orange county who does this kind of work, and knows how to do it right?
thank you in advance, for any suggestions.

Quick Reply: 98 honda civic ex coupe lowered