Electrical Post your Electrical issues here!

96 Civic Temperature Gauge Problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
vichonda is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy 96 Civic Temperature Gauge Problem

Have civic cx 96 with temperature problem. marks high temp sometimes but at motor temp is ok, fan comes on and off everything normal. checked and replaced temp sending sensor, replaced temp gauge even threw an extra wire from sensor to gauge. car runs ok with temp normal only sometimes it goes up more than half when still. the problem is only when car is still and idle. do to when the problem occurs, replaced radiator after replacing thermostat and even ran it without it and still temp varies. the only thing left is to change the whole dash cluster. thinking to buy a temp gauge and connect the circuit apart from the dash cluster gauge. Any ideas or past experience to this problem?
Old 05-16-2016
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 96 Civic Temperature Gauge Problem

Which coolant temp sensor did you replace?
Aftermarket sensor?

Plug in a scantool, read (data list) what the computer is seeing from its temp sensor.

Normal operating temp and most thermostats might open around 180, but the fan doesn't kick on until around 203*F. That extra 20 degrees might be what you see?
Old 05-16-2016
Registered!!

[QUOTE=ezone;4707800]Which coolant temp sensor did you replace?
Aftermarket sensor?

Plug in a scantool, read (data list) what the computer is seeing from its temp sensor.

Normal operating temp and most thermostats might open around 180, but the fan doesn't kick on until around 203*F. That extra 20 degrees might be what you see?Quote]
Old 05-16-2016
Registered!!

It is the coolant temp sending sensor. The one that sends the reading to the dash gauge. It is not the coolant temp sensor that sends the reading to the computer. I bought a sensor made in Japan at the Honda Auto Part. The first one bought was a sensor made in China but thinking the same thing went and bought a better one. I also have a 95 civic and bought the same sensor made in Japan and till this date I have not had problems with it. I have a temp laser gun and measured the temp at the thermostat housing next to the temp switch sensor and yes the fan kicks in at about 203-205*F.
Old 05-16-2016
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

You could monitor voltage on the wire for the sending unit and see if it remains steady while the gauge goes high or if it drops voltage when the gauge goes high.
Old 02-24-2020
Registered!!

Charmin122586 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by vichonda
Have civic cx 96 with temperature problem. marks high temp sometimes but at motor temp is ok, fan comes on and off everything normal. checked and replaced temp sending sensor, replaced temp gauge even threw an extra wire from sensor to gauge. car runs ok with temp normal only sometimes it goes up more than half when still. the problem is only when car is still and idle. do to when the problem occurs, replaced radiator after replacing thermostat and even ran it without it and still temp varies. the only thing left is to change the whole dash cluster. thinking to buy a temp gauge and connect the circuit apart from the dash cluster gauge. Any ideas or past experience to this problem?
I have the same problem with my 1996 Honda Civic cx were u able to figure out the issue