I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

Dash lights turn off when headlights turn on. **SOLVED**

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What_It_Do will become famous soon enough
Dash lights turn off when headlights turn on. **SOLVED**

OK, just picked up a 2000 DX hatch, automatic. Stock interior everything except previous owner changed gear selector stick with an aftermarket one.
Has unlock button at the top rather than the side.

The issue is when I select the signal lights or headlights on the steering column combination switch the gear indicator lights (PRND32) disappear!

I was only able to test during the day, but I think just the lights behind the odometer work.

Did some research, and replaced dimmer switch with a known working one and even tried jumping the Black and Red. No difference.

I came across this video, is there a multiplex computer on 6th Civic?
Even so, seems like a band-aid solution..
[YOUTUBE]oOHwDWjmYWU[/YOUTUBE]

Where should I begin looking??
I'm thinking behind the radio, to inspect if ever an aftermarket deck was installed and possibly behind cluster for any evidence of changes?

Last edited by What_It_Do; 07-18-2014 at 05:39 PM.
Old 07-15-2014
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Dash lights turn off when headlights turn on.

You need to see how many dash lights DO work. Hazard, defog and cruise switches are supposed to light up when the headlights are on, so is the factory radio and the HVAC control panel, and there's a bulb under the PRNDL shifter plate in the console.

No dash lights at all?
Check fuse #30 in the dash fusebox.

The gauges have about 7 bulbs in there, and the PRNDL lights have their own circuit within the gauge board but it runs on the same power and ground as the rest of the 7 bulbs.

You sure could have a half dozen bulbs burned out too. IDK. Get out your voltmeter and start checking?
Old 07-16-2014
Registered!!

The colored outlines around PRND32 on the dashboard work fine when the headlight switch is turned completely off. When I turn the switch to signal or headlights, the outlines turn off.
I'll check the fuses and take a look behind to see what I find.

What about the multiplex computer like in the video, do we have one on 2000 Civic?

Last edited by What_It_Do; 07-16-2014 at 05:55 PM.
Old 07-16-2014

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by What_It_Do
What about the multiplex computer like in the video, do we have one on 2000 Civic?
Dash lights are not controlled by a multiplex unit, according to the wiring diagram.

Dash lights get their power from the 'park lights' section of the headlight switch. Grounding is through the dimmer circuit.

The gauge cluster (lighting schematic) has a box shown as "A/T gear position indicator dimming circuit", its power and ground are from the same sources as the rest of the dash lights in the cluster (but different wires and different connector so it may be worth pulling the cluster and checking with voltmeter and wiring diagram.)
Old 07-18-2014
Registered!!

Re: Dash lights turn off when headlights turn on. **SOLVED**

SOLVED!!!!!!!!!!

I checked dimmer with DMM, all read fine. Checked fuses, all OK..
Did some time researching online, figured what the hell will start taking stuff out.
My God, found thing behind the cluster.. I knew the right side had some importance to dashboard lights from looking online at so much stuff..
Damn though, cut right at the pin..
Well I took my DMM and the voltage changed with headlight switch on and adjusting dimmer.. NICE!!

So took the pin out (what a bitch), almost was about to run to scrapyard tomorrow to splice a whole new adapter in..haha

But managed to get a new wire soldered at the end.

NOW EVERYTHING WORKS!!!

Thanks ezone for your help and support!

Old 07-18-2014
Registered!!

Looks like the wire was pinched at one of the sharp plastic ridges behind the dash.

Electrical taped the group of wires REAL good and made sure to install cluster carefully.
Old 07-18-2014

That almost looks like a rodent ate the one wire.

Glad you got it working!