I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

Aftermarket Deck install help?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
gearheadmike is an unknown quantity at this point
Aftermarket Deck install help?

ok 96 civic lx its got the factory cd player by the cup holder i want to install my aftermarket deck. do i need a adapter kit? i know i need a harness whip but what about the cd spot? and i thought i remember seeing some where someone saying u need to connect 2 grren wires for the dome light to work?
Old 01-21-2012
Kenny the Ricer

Kennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Aftermarket Deck install help?

You need a wire harness and a metra DIN kit
Old 01-30-2012
Registered!!

gearheadmike is an unknown quantity at this point

well ended up i had a plug adapter wired that up everything works. just on the green plug had to make a jumper from 1 green wire to the other for the dome light to work when doors open. i ended up getting the dask kit at walmart lol fits great had to do very tiny bit of triming to original dash opening on the left side.

Can anyon tell me what i have to do to get to the rear speakers? i know the top whole panel comes off? this is a lx sedan.
Old 04-10-2012
Registered!!

GreenToy is an unknown quantity at this point

There's an easier way to replace the rear speakers than to rip out the entire back seat just to get to them.
Contrary to what I have read in my search for instructions, the speaker grills are NOT molded into the rear deck. Those speaker grills have tabs along the outer edges (the edge near the window and the edge next to the car's body) that are fused to the speaker grill's support lip.
If you start by prying up the front edge and work around to the outside edge, you'll encounter resistance at some point. Continue to apply gently pressure with your stubby flat-head screwdriver until those fused tabs break free. Continue along the back edge (next to the rear window) until those tabs break free. Do this for both speaker grills.
Now, with the grills off, you'll notice the speaker screw closest to you is slightly under the support lip and the other one near the middle of the rear deck is further under the rear deck. For the screw closest to you, I simply took a pair of nippers and cut a notch in the support lip in order to access to it with my screwdriver. This notch is covered up once you put the speaker grills back on.
Get a right angle ratcheting screwdriver at Lowe's similar to this: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004ERAY2E/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_2?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lp o-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B0002BC0S2&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX 0DER&pf_rd_r=1YJQ1S1JGAGYJX11M5Y0 and you'll be able to get under the rear deck and remove those two screws (one per speaker). The other two, fully-exposed screws are easy. Swap out the speakers and put everything back together. If you didn’t break any of the other tabs along the grill edges, the grill will snap back and stay in place. If they're loose fitting, you can take some weatherstripping putty and place a few small pieces along the support lip to hold the speaker grills in place.
I hope this helps those of you who are looking to replace the rear speakers in your Civic but didn't feel up to ripping out the entire backseat just to get to them.