I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

Heated Mirror Problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rizzonator is an unknown quantity at this point
Heated Mirror Problem

Hello, first post and hoping someone can give me some advise
2006 Civic EX Coupe ( canada)
My heated mirrors have stopped working. Not sure when exactly but now that its snowing, they arent working.
Rear defrost is working just fine and its the same button. Not really sure how the mirrors work. Could this be a fuse? Doesn't seem to make sense that BOTH mirrors aren't working but the rear defrost is and its the same button...anyone have any experience with this?

Last edited by Rizzonator; 01-20-2012 at 04:59 PM. Reason: OOPS, wrong generation..can a mod pls move
Old 01-20-2012
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Heated Mirror Problem

Are you certain the mirror heaters don't work? I always thought they were just wimpy. You could check for power and grounds right at the mirror connector to see if they are actually powered up and just sloooow to heat up. On a 2 door, the connector is directly behind where the mirror is mounted. Turn it on, should have 12v on the orange wire, and the black should be a ground.

If 12v is missing, then I would continue my testing at the relay socket for the mirror heaters in the underhood fusebox. Testing there would tell me which of the 4 possible areas to look at further, or if all 4 circuits are proper, then the relay itself is suspect. 3 minutes, tops. I don't even need a wiring diagram yet to test this part.

Since the rear defrost works, it shouldn't be a fuse. Both share the same fuse, and you should have noticed other stuff not working if it were blown.

Both the rear and mirror defrost relays are controlled at the same time, so it shouldn't be a control problem.

My guess: Either the mirror relay is bad, or there is open circuits between the relay and the doors.

Underhood fuse and relay box. In this pic the relays are the 12 large rectangles. The mirror relay is top row, 2nd from the left. I'd mark it with a white crayon so I don't forget where it got swapped to, then swap it with an identical relay. The rear defrost relay should be middle row, 3rd from the left. Swap those and see which one works now.

HTH