I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

#15 fuse keeps blowing

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2010
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DEX200K is an unknown quantity at this point
#15 fuse keeps blowing

97 Civic Dx: Check eng light came on, OBD II codes showed "Electrical Load Detector" along with O2 sensors, VSS and something about factory fuel mixture. Speedometer went wacky and lights dim in a pulsing/flicker. The battery will drain when left sitting 2 days requiring a jump start.
It did need new O2 sensors before and after the Cat, it also got a new VSS. I had a mechanic swap in a known good speedo head and he also swapped in a known good ECM. Mechanic said, sorry, I don't have time to check for shorts. So I spent a day following troubleshooting charts. I thought the problem was fixed when I did the troubleshooting Electric Load Detector (ELD) steps in the Honda repair manual. I found a short in the green/red wire between ELD No. 3 connector terminal and the No.16 terminal of the ECM. All was great in idle and up to 35 mph, just about when the automatic shifted into 4th the #15 fuse blew again.
My next step is to order a ELD 3P connector. What else?
Old 01-30-2010
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Re: #15 fuse keeps blowing

its possible the eld itself is bad and drawing too much power?
Old 01-31-2010
Registered!!

bigaudiofanatic is an unknown quantity at this point

That could be the problem. I would take it to your honda dealer or maybe even your sear auto place and have them check the load detector.

I myself will have to replace one soon on my 03 honda civic because a friend shorted a power wire from the + to - one day. Ugh good help is so hard to find now a days.
Old 02-01-2010
Registered!!

DEX200K is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks. I ordered a ELD, will swap this weekend.
Old 03-03-2010
Registered!!

garrettchase is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking Re: #15 fuse keeps blowing

I know exactly what your problem is. Got a 96 Civic with same exact codes, 2 O2 sensor codes, the ELD code and a fuel air mixture messed up code. Anyways this is the link to fix your problem

http://www.sparkys-answers.com/2009/...use-blown.html

Just so you know, i swapped ELD's that didn't do it

Swapped PCM's that didn't do it

Googled 15 amp fuse blown honda and found the answer

My buddy spent hours taking apart the wiring harness and checking for broke wires. Unfortunately he his efforts were in VAIN because google had the answer
Old 01-04-2016
Registered!!

1996Hondacivicd is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by garrettchase
I know exactly what your problem is. Got a 96 Civic with same exact codes, 2 O2 sensor codes, the ELD code and a fuel air mixture messed up code. Anyways this is the link to fix your problem

http://www.sparkys-answers.com/2009/...use-blown.html

Just so you know, i swapped ELD's that didn't do it

Swapped PCM's that didn't do it

Googled 15 amp fuse blown honda and found the answer

My buddy spent hours taking apart the wiring harness and checking for broke wires. Unfortunately he his efforts were in VAIN because google had the answer

Just wanted to thank Garrett chase for the link my 1996 Honda Civic had the same exact problem all the lights would surge/flicker,idle rough, (Car would rev up and down)and my speedometer bounced around at random. What I replaced was a bunch of sensors,relays replaced my battery, battery cables, alternator, took out all my subs, my stereo, replaced speedometer then swapped engine completely NONE of that helped tons of money and time wasted and then the link that garret chase posted helped me cause I had a short in the same place it's common

http://www.sparkys-answers.com/2009/04/1996-honda-civic-15-fuse-blown.html
Old 01-05-2016
Registered!!

RIPSAW has a spectacular aura aboutRIPSAW has a spectacular aura about

That is too cool for Mr garrettchase