Brakes Post your questions about Brakes problems here!

Possible wheel bearings going bad?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Caelidh is an unknown quantity at this point
Possible wheel bearings going bad?

I have a 1998 Civic LX and I have gotten Tires replaced recently (full set) and the car seems to be running OK. HOWEVER, in the past month I started to hear a squeal coming from my drivers side front wheel.
It would come and go but over the last week or so it has gotten worse and I was at an AUTOZONE for an unrelated issue and the guy said he heard it from my right side as well. (as I was backing out)

This morning as I was backing out THIS morning it was really loud and squeely. It isn't the breaks (I just had those replaced a few years as well) and is when I am moving not breaking.

They said it probably is the BEARINGS???.

This just cropped up in the last month.

I think I probably also need my clutch replaced too.. but I am more concerned about this noise!.

Could this be the bearings? I don't notice any lessened driving performance. (no shaking or rumbling or thumping) just the squealing noise. (especially when I am backing up )

I am trying to avoid the dealer as I fear they are going to be SUPER expensive. How much will this set me back? and how serious /dangerous is it? I do drive a long commute.

Thanks

PS: I also live on a gravel pothole filled road and I wonder if that has contributed to this problem. (which annoys the HELL out of me because we live with 20 other people)
Old 04-11-2016
Super Moderator

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts
Poopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Possible wheel bearings going bad?

How do the rotors look/feel? It it is the bearings, they shouldn't be too hard to replace. You just need to get the wheels, calipers and rotors out of the way first. There are DIY articles on that, and good replacements aren't THAT expensive. I don't know about squealing, but my rear ones sounded like an old WWII bomber before I replaced them.
Old 04-11-2016
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light

from what you have described here the noise does not sound like its a wheel bearing, you generally would not be able to hear wheel bearing noise going at a slow speed or backing up like you are saying,

to hear a wheel bearing noise you would need to be going about 20-30mph at least, and the noise would get louder and consistant with the speed you are travelling, generally sounds like a humming or buzzing sound, not a squeal
Old 04-11-2016
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

generally sounds like a humming or buzzing sound, not a squeal
They usually sound like an airplane flying next to you by the time people bring them in to the shop with a complaint.
Old 06-29-2019
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

My notes say that wheel bearings should be repacked every 12K miles.
Do you have a service manual specifically for your own car?

I don't know what car you have, but sealed bearings have been in use for decades.
Old 06-29-2019
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tmst is an unknown quantity at this point

Manual? I don't need no stinkin' manual!

Actually, I consulted it and found my Civic has sealed bearings! Can you believe that? How the heck did that note about repacking the bearings get in my notes? It's a conspiracy, I tell you! The body snatchers found my notebook. Agh!