Wheels, Tires & Brakes Modifications Post Wheel, Tire & Brake related modification information and/or questions here

thoughts on beefy tires

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hsennik is an unknown quantity at this point
thoughts on beefy tires

I think we all like beefy tires but since we all got front wheel drive cars its kind of dumb to get fat tires. I still like the look of it though and i was wondering if anyone put like 255's or something on their honda and how it looked. if u can send post a pic in the thread that would be killer because i want to do it too if it looks good. thanks

(and yes 255's arent big on a regular car but on a honda its differnt especially on an EK or EG)
Old 02-17-2015
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,144 Likes on 799 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute
Re: thoughts on beefy tires

Originally Posted by hsennik
(and yes 255's arent big on a regular car but on a honda its differnt especially on an EK or EG)
You're right. They're effing HUGE on a civic. I don't think they'd fit without some serious mods. O_o
Old 02-17-2015
Registered!!

yeah thats true... and crap I really dont wanna be runnin on smart car tires haha. by the way, what are your thoughts on a rear windshield visor on a silver ek coupe with aluminum rims. I am thinking about getting it, but i dont want it to look random LOL, i want my car to contrast well. I think if i were to do it, tinting the windows would make it more subtle but still get it to look nice
Old 02-17-2015
Administrator
Administrator

xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

Honest opinion: do your car how you want, eff the haters. Modding your car is all about how you want it.

What I used to do when I first got my car was flip through import tuner/super street, dog-ear the pages with crap that I thought looked cool, then tried to make a mental image of what it would all look like put together. Photoshop is your friend if you know what you're doing. For performance things that I thought were cool, I'd research the product and see if there were better, cost effective alternatives. After that, dive right in and learn to do the work yourself. Use forums as an invaluable resource for DIY guides, tips and tricks. In all seriousness, what's the point of modding your car if you're gonna pay someone to do the work for you? Learning how to do all this crap lets you know your car inside and out. Later down the road, when crap inevitably starts to hit the fan, you begin to learn general points of failure. In my 12, going on 13 years of messing with my civic, the only things I've really paid to have done was body work, tuning, alignments, and people to fix my f*** ups. Just about everything else, (engine rebuild, turbo install, suspension work, various component installs, etc) I've done myself.
Old 02-17-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

put like 255's or something on their honda
Sawzall the fenders out so you don't rub.
Old 02-17-2015
Registered!!

Originally Posted by xRiCeBoYx
Honest opinion: do your car how you want, eff the haters. Modding your car is all about how you want it.

What I used to do when I first got my car was flip through import tuner/super street, dog-ear the pages with crap that I thought looked cool, then tried to make a mental image of what it would all look like put together. Photoshop is your friend if you know what you're doing. For performance things that I thought were cool, I'd research the product and see if there were better, cost effective alternatives. After that, dive right in and learn to do the work yourself. Use forums as an invaluable resource for DIY guides, tips and tricks. In all seriousness, what's the point of modding your car if you're gonna pay someone to do the work for you? Learning how to do all this crap lets you know your car inside and out. Later down the road, when crap inevitably starts to hit the fan, you begin to learn general points of failure. In my 12, going on 13 years of messing with my civic, the only things I've really paid to have done was body work, tuning, alignments, and people to fix my f*** ups. Just about everything else, (engine rebuild, turbo install, suspension work, various component installs, etc) I've done myself.
Yeah thats true you bring up some good points man. I used forza as my rendering for my car, but all their parts and accessories are not broad enough. But yeah I have been doing a lot of DIY research (Scotty Kilmer, Chris Fix) so those guys have helped me out. I am only 18 so I need to put some years of experience under my belt to really understand where you guys are coming from and learn from my mistakes.
Old 02-17-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

DIY research (Scotty Kilmer,
You gotta watch what you are watching there. Some of Scottys videos are not ... um... very realistic.
Old 02-17-2015
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
You gotta watch what you are watching there. Some of Scottys videos are not ... um... very realistic.
oh what there not very practical? his videos just annoy me because EVERY F****** TIME after he says something he does this semi smerk. Like i mean EVERY time and its so annoying. But yeah ok i guess ill stay away from him. I had no idea.
Old 02-17-2015
Administrator
Administrator

Yeah thats true you bring up some good points man. I used forza as my rendering for my car, but all their parts and accessories are not broad enough. But yeah I have been doing a lot of DIY research (Scotty Kilmer, Chris Fix) so those guys have helped me out. I am only 18 so I need to put some years of experience under my belt to really understand where you guys are coming from and learn from my mistakes.
I got my car when I was 17, a few months before turning 18. I had my "everything is awesome, I needs it" phase. A lot of those things I thought were cool, but realized the functionality of some of the stuff either a) didn't apply to a FWD car, b) didn't apply to what I was inevitably going to use my car for, or c) absolutely not feasible. You'll learn, just takes time and a metric ****-ton of research.

Just thinking about some of the threads you've posted, I'm just going to apply some of my experience into determining whether or not I think it's feasible. I apologize if I come off as harsh, but it's kind of a harsh reality (I'm really here to help you, buddy).

Cams: I'd consider it, but not anything more than a stage 1. Especially rocking a B20 under the hood, and as a young driver. I thought I was hot **** driving when I was your age, only to learn that I needed to learn how to really drive. Save that mod for quite some time later.

Removing the rear seats: sure, playing taxi sometimes sucks, but if you have friends that wanna tag along with you, I'd rather take the gas money (or alternative form of "payment") than not have the ability to seat more than one passenger in your car at a time. From my experience, I've had people slip me a fiver for carpooling, even if driving ended up adding only 20-30 miles on my car. $5 will net me 2 gallons of gas, which gets me 60 miles.

beefy tires: nah bro, you don't need it. You probably won't need anything wider than 215s, especially on a civic. You'll end up spending much more money than you rightfully need to. If you wanted the hella wide tires, you'd damn well better be taking your car to the track on a regular, or at least slap them on a spare set of rims.

injectors: I already gave you a lengthy explanation on it. Fuel demand follows power generation. Only feed as much fuel, perhaps a tinge more than your car needs. Waste of money otherwise.

__________________________________________________ ____________

If you wanna do your car right, especially for a DD, figure out what you wanna do. If you wanna have a reliable DD with some pep to your step, do it right, pay more up front, save money in the long run. I'd honestly ditch the B20 and slap a B16/18 in there. That's just me, though. Also, you're missing something Hondas are known for: suspension. Best bang-for-buck mods will happen there. Mod your car with the mindset of "daily driver" first, race car second. If you've ever been in a stripped *** car with a loud exhaust, that **** gets old after 10 minutes.
Old 02-17-2015
Registered!!

youre not being harsh at all, in all honesty youre helping me out tons. I am in the same predicament right now as you were back in the day. And ok stage 1 cam sounds good, and yeah i guess thats true with the back seats. Wide tires that makes sense too, and same with injects. I am buying my car off someone else and he already has form over function coilovers. (so idk if thats what you were referring too) And wouldnt it make more sense for me to do a a B20 VTEC as appose to a full b16/18 swap? :O
Old 02-18-2015
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

back onto the tires, the limit for the 7th gen is around 225 section, pending wheel off-set

unsure of how much can be fitted into a 6th gen...

Note: if you fit wide tires, the civics are quite light - in wet it gets slightly messier

ask me about - this monday, when we had freezing rain and sleet, then snow, my tires were not able to dig down to catch the ground, so car slept in the bottom of the hill i live... not enough weight to dig the tires through. saw other heavier cars simply climbing while i spinned the wheels...
Old 02-18-2015
Registered!!

Originally Posted by sdaidoji
back onto the tires, the limit for the 7th gen is around 225 section, pending wheel off-set

unsure of how much can be fitted into a 6th gen...

Note: if you fit wide tires, the civics are quite light - in wet it gets slightly messier

ask me about - this monday, when we had freezing rain and sleet, then snow, my tires were not able to dig down to catch the ground, so car slept in the bottom of the hill i live... not enough weight to dig the tires through. saw other heavier cars simply climbing while i spinned the wheels...

yeah true. Hey my buddy's XXR's do this, and its not because he has spacers its just the way they sit i guess. Is their any other way of doing this aside from a wheel spacer on different rims?

https://www.google.ca/search?q=slamm...2F%3B736%3B490
Old 02-18-2015
Administrator
Administrator

You're only gonna be able to get that look by wheel spacers, man. And if you're going for the "hellaflush" look, the spacer size you're gonna need is all gonna depend on the rim offset you choose.

Also, to tag onto what Sandro (sdaidoji) said, 225 is pushing the limit for the 7thgen. Previous generations are just about the same, as well. 215's will fit fine with one of two things: 1) a modest drop (I'm at about 2" with no rubbing on 215s), or 2) a more aggressive drop and rolled fenders. With the latter option, you can kiss the fenderwell linings goodbye anyways.
Old 02-19-2015
Registered!!

Yeah that's true. Does camber effect the spacer size too? :O