Wheels, Tires & Brakes Modifications Post Wheel, Tire & Brake related modification information and/or questions here

Baffled brake problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Instrument48 is an unknown quantity at this point
Baffled brake problem

My son has a 2000 civic. Complained that his brakes were "weird?" Drove the car, had the brake pedal go almost to the floor but car still stops, but not well. Checked brake resevior and it is empty. Refilled resevior 2 nights ago. There has been no fluid lost since them but the pedal has not had any change. Its still going almost to the floor. Brake Booster?? Not a clue, since the fluid is not leaking out anywhere. Thanks in advance
Old 04-05-2012
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Baffled brake problem

If the reservoir was empty, then there is air in the system and it must be bled out.
The air causes the low pedal. (Assuming that's all that went wrong..)

Go find a bunch of gravel.
Skid the car to a stop in the gravel.
Get out and see which 2 wheels made skid marks.
Start bleeding the brakes on the 2 wheels that did NOT skid.

You have to figure out where the fluid went, too. It didn't just evaporate into thin air.

Look all around under the car for evidence of fluid loss.
If you don't find anything, then unbolt the master cylinder from the brake booster and pull it out, see if the fluid has been leaking around the rear seal of the master, into the booster.

HTH
Old 04-06-2012
Registered!!

ubnpast is on a distinguished road

Chances are the pads are worn down (and in need of replacement), when this happens, the piston in the caliper extends due to the lack of brake pad material, this extended piston uses more brake fluid and can cause the resivor to run low. Chances are he has air in the system, and all the lines should be bled (make sure you keep the resivor filled).
Old 09-08-2013
Registered!!

marione43 is an unknown quantity at this point

i have the same problem for my 92 civic dx sedan I lost all of my breaks. I found out that my drivers side rear tire wheel cylinder went bad. I've changed it and my master cylinder as well but now I have no break pedal at all. any advice in what could cause this problem?
Old 09-08-2013
Registered!!

ubnpast is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by marione43
i have the same problem for my 92 civic dx sedan I lost all of my breaks. I found out that my drivers side rear tire wheel cylinder went bad. I've changed it and my master cylinder as well but now I have no break pedal at all. any advice in what could cause this problem?
Bleed all the lines
Old 09-08-2013
Registered!!

marione43 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ubnpast
Bleed all the lines
I've done blead all the lines and still no break pedal whatso ever.
Old 09-09-2013
Registered!!

Fliptard will become famous soon enoughFliptard will become famous soon enough

since the master went dry, you need to bench bleed it again, once you have done that, re-bleed all the lines a **** ton of times in this order

Right Rear
Left Front
Left Rear
Right Front

the best way I found to do this is by using a 20oz bottle, fill it up 1/4 - 1/2 with new Brake fluid, fit a hose that fits tightly around the brake bleeder. Put the hose in the bottle and make sure it stays in the fluid and crack the line.

As you push the brakes, the air and fluid in the lines will exit the hose and when you pull the pedal back up, it will suck up Fluid instead of air.

Do this multiple times to make sure all the air is out and take it for a test drive.