Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

97 civic crank no start has fuel spark and timing is on

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Randy5010 is an unknown quantity at this point

I noticed a slight hesitation the other night when applying throttle. Next morning it seemed to get worse every time I applied the throttle past about quarter throttle, it would under quarter throttle Rev all the way up slowly though to red line if I wanted. Eventually got so bad it stalled out now it's crank no start. I have decent spark, swapped out the icm and coil anyway. Timing is on. I'm getting fuel. It won't start with starting fluid either. I replaced the iac and swapped a different throttle body and still nothing. All stock manual transmission p2p ecu. Please help
Old 04-12-2017
Registered!!

I noticed a slight hesitation the other night when applying throttle. Next morning it seemed to get worse every time I applied the throttle past about quarter throttle, it would under quarter throttle Rev all the way up slowly though to red line if I wanted. Eventually got so bad it stalled out now it's crank no start. I have decent spark, swapped out the icm and coil anyway. Timing is on. I'm getting fuel. It won't start with starting fluid either. I replaced the iac and swapped a different throttle body and still nothing. All stock manual transmission p2p ecu. Please help
Old 04-12-2017
OF top 99.5% creator (Formerly of the Puffinblunts variety)

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts
Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of
Re: 97 civic crank no start has fuel spark and timing is on

Originally Posted by Randy5010
You verified mechanical and ignition timing? Did you remove spark plugs, inspect for fouling and smell for fuel getting into cylinders? Main relay tested? The initial throttle response issues sounds like a failing/weak fuel pump or clogged filter. Did you happen to get gas a bit before this issue started?..maybe water in gas.
Old 04-12-2017

Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of
Re: 97 civic d16y8 crank no start

The initial throttle response issue sound like a possible weak/failing fuel pump, clogged fuel filter or water in gas. Did you remove spark plugs, inspect for fouling and smell for gas getting into cylinders?
You verified both mechanical and ignition timing? Tested the mainn relay?
Old 04-12-2017
Registered!!

Originally Posted by turd_ferguson
You verified mechanical and ignition timing? Did you remove spark plugs, inspect for fouling and smell for fuel getting into cylinders? Main relay tested? The initial throttle response issues sounds like a failing/weak fuel pump or clogged filter. Did you happen to get gas a bit before this issue started?..maybe water in gas.
the pump runs and I have pressure at the fuel rail. Not entirely sure the ignition timing is matching up with the mechanical timing but the crank and cam are where they should be I did get gas right before. But wouldn't it still start with starter fluid?
Old 04-12-2017
Registered!!

the pump runs and I have pressure at the fuel rail. Not entirely sure the ignition timing is matching up with the mechanical timing but the crank and cam are where they should be I did get gas right before. But wouldn't it still start with starter fluid?
It isn't throwing any codes either I had disconnected and reset battery now it won't run to even throw a cel. Disconnected battery after the issue occurred btw
Old 04-12-2017

Will need a timing light to verify ignition timing. Plus ECU green harness wire on driver's side will need a jumper wire: in service manual or youtubes.

Did you try starting it with pedal to floor (WOT) in case it may be flooded?

I helped a friend with his '04 VW Passat and he had a crank/no start issue. We checked fuel at rail and it was present but couldn't get it to start. A day later he checked fuel at rail again and it wasn't present. He tapped on fuel pump with a hammer and it worked again but still wouldn't start the engine. In the end it turned out to be a weak/failing fuel pump with low pressure. He replaced it with a used one and it's been fine for past six months. Not saying this is the issue but unfortunately, without a fuel pressure gauge it's only a guess that it has proper pressure. One way to test without a feul pressure gauge is to pull injectors and spray them into a bucket.Watchh for spray pattern, flow and timing.

Hopefully, a real mechanic (Ezone or others here) will reply soon. Just for future reference and something you may already know a '97 is a 6th gen (96-00).. you posted in the 1st-5th gen. Not a big deal though because unlike some of the douchebags on a site with the initials H.T., you won't get berated for it.

Last edited by Wankenstein; 04-12-2017 at 06:09 PM.
Old 04-12-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Any fault codes?
Old 04-12-2017
Registered!!

I reset the battery after replacing throttle body and iac and icm hasn't set any codes yet but won't start
Old 04-12-2017

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Threads merged.
Replied to one thread before I read the other to see my question was already answered.
Someone needs to berate belittle and chastise OP for screwing up posts on his first day here, so he feels welcome. Tsk, tsk. Shame on you! Where'd turd go?

Real mechanics get all greasy and dirty and stuff, that's just not my bag.
So I'm not a real mechanic.

But I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night....
I'm getting fuel.
Where? How do you know it's getting into the cylinders?

Are the spark plugs wet with gasoline, or perfectly dry?

I have decent spark,
How large an air gap can the spark jump?
swapped out the icm and coil anyway.
Verified and proven good parts were used?

Timing is on.
Cam timing? Ignition timing? What?

ECM grounds on thermostat housing clean and tight?
Got compression?
Fuel is really gasoline, not sabotaged with diesel, urine or sugar? LOL

Got backpressure? Clogged exhaust/cat?
Old 04-12-2017

Originally Posted by ezone
Where'd turd go?
Turd can be a douche too when he's on HT under another name...sssh..don't tell anyone.
Old 04-12-2017

Turd can be a douche too when he's on HT under another name...sssh..don't tell anyone.

And he talks about himself in the 3rd person o_0
Old 04-12-2017

Originally Posted by ezone
And he talks about himself in the 3rd person o_0
Exactly..that's when you know for sure someone's a full blown douche