Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Z6 swap knock sensor code?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ekfiend is an unknown quantity at this point
Z6 swap knock sensor code?

So here's the story. My girlfriend was in the market for a new daily, i drive a 97 ek d15b vtec swap. So instantly started looking for an ek for her because i love mine! Now the car i found was a 99 ek with 130k on the chassis and had one issue, a knock sensor code. But upon closer inspection i found the motor was a d16z6, which to my knowledge does not use a knock sensor. Now I'm thinking they used the y8 harness on the z6, obviously this motor has been swapped. So if this swap was done and the knock sensor plug from the y8 harness is not being used, that should be where the code is coming from? If i swapped ecus to an eg ecu, would this fix the problem or have we gotten ourselves into a hurricane of wiring? I figured it wouldnt hurt to have other opinions! Thanks in advance!
Old 04-02-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Z6 swap knock sensor code?

that should be where the code is coming from?
Regardless of the wiring or engine, the ECM in the car is looking for a good knock sensor input and cannot find one.
Old 04-02-2017
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
Regardless of the wiring or engine, the ECM in the car is looking for a good knock sensor input and cannot find one.
i guess a better question would be what i need to do to get rid of the code, since there is no knock sensor on the motor.
Old 04-02-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Either install and connect a knock sensor your ECM accepts as valid and usable, or change to an ECM that does not need to use a knock sensor.

Whatever ECM that may be, I can't tell. Whatever was supposed to match the current engine?
Old 04-02-2017
Registered!!

Thats what i was leaning towards doing, but was hesitant just in case there may be complications before i went the pull a part and tried to find a p28 ecm.