Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Rebuilt d16y8 wont start.. please help

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jcosmo14 is an unknown quantity at this point
Rebuilt d16y8 wont start.. please help

Hows it going? I have a 1998 civic ex with a d16y8 i bought with 240k miles and a blown head gasket. I went through the motor and replaced the head (y8) with 174k miles and put new piston rings on.
I cleaned everything very well and torqued everything to spec. Replaced the battery, starter, and plenty of gaskets including the distributor, valve cover, head gasket, and oil pan.
Once everything was together i was told adding a few drops of oil into the cylinders without the spark plugs and turning it over a few times as to not blow out the piston rings was a good idea.
Went to start it and it just cranks. Has a loud crank. So i replaced the starter i got from a junk yard and same thing, just cranks.
I was told from a video i took my timing was way off, im currently working to fix that but im not sure it was the timing because i followed everything AllData told me and made sure the head and block were TDC before putting the timing belt on.
Yes, ive checked and cleaned every single ground there is, none of my fuses are bad, and im getting gas, air, (spark and compression im checking right now). Any help or advice would be greatfully appropriated, this is my first time rebuilding a motor and ive been at it for weeks now.
Any information needed i can provide ASAP.
Old 03-26-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Rebuilt d16y8 wont start.. please help

I don't see a video.
Firing order incorrect?
Got compression?
Old 03-26-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jcosmo14 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Rebuilt d16y8 wont start.. please help

Fire order is correct and im checking compression now