Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Continues high reving

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ironman.92 is an unknown quantity at this point
Continues high reving

Hi guys I just made an account and I just got a 97 honda civic coupe. I got it for 600 bucks for something to work I do not know a whole lot but I love working on cars and hoping some of you can help me out along the way. The civic has a continuous high idle from the moment it starts up and the young guy I bought it from only had it for a few months bought it off some old guy and neither of then did much with it so I think all the problems started when a young kid wanted to rice it out. But when he put the air intake back on he never conceded the air hose from the intake to the head and there is a lose hose the runs above the fuel rail and down and I have no idea where that is suppose to go. So if you have any idea what I am talking about please give me some ideas . I am going out to take a look at it as I have only looked at it for about 10 mins in the dark last night when I got the car . I'll take some pics and see if I can show you what I am talking about.
Old 02-23-2017
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,148 Likes on 802 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Continues high reving

Pics would help. Does rpm maintain high at idle or does it settle down to ~700 ish after some time?
Old 02-24-2017
OF top 99.5% creator (Formerly of the Puffinblunts variety)

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts
Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Ironman.92
there is a lose hose the runs above the fuel rail and down and I have no idea where that is suppose to go.
Sounds like you are descibing the PCV valve hose. Does it feed through the base and middle of the intake manifold? If so, the PCV connects to the crankcase (rubber grommet). Easiest to see and inspect it from underneath the car when the oil filter is off. Being that you just bought the car it's a good time to pull the PCV valve out and shake it .. if it rattles it's working correctly and if not replace it.

6th gen Civics always (normal) idle high for the first few minutes and then drop to around 650 with no load (a/c, headlights etc..). If it idles high continiously remove the throttle body and clean it with throttle body cleaner. Can use a tootbrush or small brass brush and clean both side of throttle blade and body. Good time to remove and clean IAVC too (youtube). Other than that search for vacuum leaks. Check vacuum line that runs from cruise control (if equipped) to intake manifold (facing firewall).
Old 02-27-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ironman.92 is an unknown quantity at this point

I removed the air intake throttle and cleaned aivc and air intake blade it still idles high and then dropped then high then dropped and then all of a sudden it started gushing out coolant from the upper rad hose. Loud spews about 3 seconds long each .
Old 02-27-2017

Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Ironman.92
I removed the air intake throttle and cleaned aivc and air intake blade it still idles high and then dropped then high then dropped and then all of a sudden it started gushing out coolant from the upper rad hose. Loud spews about 3 seconds long each .
Even though you cleaned it, it could still be a failed IACV. However, start looking for vacuum leaks. One cheap way to do a smoke test (for air leaks) is to disconnect the brake booster vacuum line, disconnect air intake from throttle body and cover TB inlet with saran wrap and a rubber band. Take a drag off a cigar and blow it into the brake booster hose and look for leaks all around the intake manifold, cylinder head and vacuum line/connections. Makle sure the PCV valve is connected and fully seated. Watch vids below to find vacuum leaks.

As far as the coolant leak did a hose or clamp come loose?
Overheating?

Last edited by Wankenstein; 02-27-2017 at 08:14 PM.
Old 02-27-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

and then all of a sudden it started gushing out coolant from the upper rad hose.
This isn't sounding like a very promising used car deal.
Old 02-28-2017

Originally Posted by ezone
This isn't sounding like a very promising used car deal.
I didn't want to be the bearer of possible bad news.

Seems like the reality with buying any used car under $4 to 5k is it will take another $500 or more to get it in proper operating condition. When I was younger I had a lot less knowledge of cars yet, most of the cars (mostly late 70's Toyota's) I did buy served me well and not a lot repair needed. I know more now but, the cars I've purchased in the past decade have cost me more after purchase. Most recent purchases have been 5th and 6th gen Civics..lol. I blame it more on Craigslist artificially inflating values and increasing the sleaze factor of sellers.

Even with the repairs older Civics look better and are more fun to drive than Toyota's from the past two decades.

Last edited by Wankenstein; 02-28-2017 at 07:01 AM.