Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Fuel Gauge or Sending unit?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2kej6 is an unknown quantity at this point
Fuel Gauge or Sending unit?

alright backstory: installed some led bulbs in the gauge cluster as well as the climate control. when i turned the switch to I they all light up...cool..turn to II and i watch my fuel gauge slowly rise to the F mark..So started by checking fuses..nothing...reset battery - low gas light is gone. googled my issue and read a common mistake is over tightening the screws since they'll snap the copper wires inside...i opened it back up and of course they're broke. went to a nearby pick n pull and carefully took one out of another civic.. all 3(or is it 4) wires were still intact. this time around i carefully screw them in until i feel the slightest tightness and stop...turn car to II and same thing but THIS time it looks as though it wants to move and will....full - 3/4 - 1/2 - 3/4 etc but slowly..my first search said to unplug B from the cluster and turn key I did and it dropped. raised right back up when i reconnected...also yesterday i unplug sending unit and turn key. drops to empty..?? so if i remember right this means its withing the gauge/wires?? or the unit itself?..

before i quit last night I did notice the wires were unusually loose inside the pinned connector could that be a possibility? not sure how else to troubleshoot given i don't have a multimeter and to be honest wouldn't know first thing to do..unless i watched a crash course on youtube...i just hate wiring in general any info helps at this point...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	16473147_1229090293873191_2954095017084868638_n.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	18.9 KB
ID:	89536   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170217_223729 (1).jpg
Views:	28
Size:	3.72 MB
ID:	89542  

Last edited by 2kej6; 02-19-2017 at 03:48 PM. Reason: title change/pictures
Old 02-17-2017
Registered!!

RIPSAW has a spectacular aura aboutRIPSAW has a spectacular aura about
Re: fuel gauge rose to full with a low fuel light?

What type of bulb was in there in the first place? The typical small incandescent bulbs?
Old 02-17-2017
Registered!!

yeah, #74 I believe. However I did not replace the smaller Battery, check engine, seatbelt etc with l.e.d just the big 3 (forgot the #)
Old 02-18-2017
Registered!!

update:

yesterday I checked out the fuel sending wires and they were looking awful I unclipped it and the clip broke down as if it were sand...I didn't have another 3 pin clip laying around so I spliced the ends crimped them down for now individual connectors...nothing...I do notice though it went from 100% full last week or two to where you see in the pictures...I know its not accurate..thats the second cluster I've put in.. no broken wires nothing...fuel filter was replaced in oct/Nov...I've never pulled a sender unit and don't really want to but with google and haynes I'm sure id do it correctly...now pictures..not sure where to go from here

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_...TY5UzNodFpFMDg

oh yeah includes a picture of the back yard fence during yesterdays thunderstorm in CA...
Old 02-22-2017
Registered!!

Re: Fuel Gauge or Sending unit?

bump - anyone?