Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Think my trans took a dump on highway

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
daniel831 is an unknown quantity at this point
Think my trans took a dump on highway

My car is a 1997 Honda Civic HX 5-speed. Driving on the highway it began pulling to the left, no noises at the time. Slowed down and got off the highway and began having loud binding/popping while turning like a bad CV joint. Towed the car home, driver side outer CV boot was split with little to no grease left in joint. Installed a new CV joint on the driver side as well as a new axle seal on the passenger side because it was leaking. With the car mostly back together but still up on jackstands when I spin either wheel by hand there is a loud grating noise coming from the transaxle.

The noise is very similar to the one in this video which ended up being broken teeth on a gear: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkBgYXWCBs4

The transmission has a history of being run low on fluid, when I purchased the vehicle the fluid was very low and there was a grind shifting into 3rd gear, with 3rd sometimes not engaging at all just grinding. Did a fluid change which made the 3rd gear issue go away so long as firm pressure is used on the shifter during 2-3 shift.

What are your thoughts? Comments or advice greatly appreciated.

Thanks
-Dan
Old 02-06-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Think my trans took a dump on highway

With the car mostly back together but still up on jackstands when I spin either wheel by hand there is a loud grating noise coming from the transaxle.
So put the car on the ground and see if it can be driven, see if you fixed the problem..

The noise is very similar to the one in this video which ended up being broken teeth on a gear:
Nah. If it still sounds bad after fixing the axle, let's hear what YOUR trans sounds like.
The transmission has a history of being run low on fluid,
Not good.
Fixing the leaks may have been cheap when it began leaking......but might not be so cheap now.