Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Coolant leak

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sionolann3 is an unknown quantity at this point
Coolant leak

Trying to identify a problem with my 1996 Honda Civic LX.

I noticed a burning coolant smell when driving home last night, about a 15 mile drive, finally looking at it today.
This morning after driving 15 miles to work, I noticed that the coolant level in the reservoir was between minimum and max. Last I filled it it was at maximum, about a month ago. There was coolant on the tubing, reservoir, fan on the passenger side, the air intake and the boxy thing the fan goes inbetween (filters? pardon my lack of knowledge). Looking at the civic with a cool engine a few hours later the coolant in the reservoir is now below the minimum and the coolant in the radiator is up to the metal cap.

I think the reservoir cap may be leaking? it is not very tight. Any thoughts? Any suggestions to continue diagnosing?

Thanks
Old 01-17-2017
The legs in the public bathroom stall

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
mcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to behold
Re: Coolant leak

The cap on the reservoir doesn't have to be tight. The hose going to the cap needs to fit properly and the hose on the tank side of the cap needs to fit properly.

Clean off all spilled coolant with water, dry everything, and keep an eye on the car. At that age many rubber items are getting to the point of replacement regardless of mileage.

Did the car overheat? This would explain the coolant on the front of the engine. Does the cooling fan(s) run? The cap on the reservoir can't leak unless it is cracked.
Old 01-17-2017
Registered!!

All the hoses seem OK. No rips or tears or holes. I'll clean it off and keep an eye on it for now. I assume the fans run but I haven't tested it yet. I checked the oil and that looks fine. How often should the radiator cap be changed? Could that be a problem? I've done some reading up and a lot of people say that bad head gaskets lead to issues like this.

​​​​​
Old 01-17-2017
Registered!!

It did not overheat either.
Old 01-17-2017
OF top 99.5% creator (Formerly of the Puffinblunts variety)

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts
Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of

Replace radiator cap with an OEM Honda..do not get Stant brannd or any other aftermarket as they do not fit as well as OEM.

Also, use a permanent mark (sharpie) and mark a line (ignition timing mark) on the top of the distributor base and head as shown in this image: http://s775.photobucket.com/user/Cor...051m2.jpg.html

After creating that mark remove distributor and inspect the heater hose underneath.Look and feel for splits, tears, or bubbled (weak) hose near where that heater hose connects to the head. The distributor O-ring tends to leak oil and if does it leaks oil right on to that heater hose and deteriorates it. When you put the ditrubutor back on make sure to align the marks you made before you removed it.

Heater hose diagram:

Last edited by Wankenstein; 01-17-2017 at 04:58 PM.
Old 01-17-2017
Registered!!

I drove it again and there was coolant in all the same places after I washed it. The most was directly on top of the radiator by the cap and around it on the top of the radiator. The radiator was pushing out a faint smoke on that side. There is also coolant on the hood above the cap and around that area. I'll get a new radiator cap and go from there. I'll check the tubes in better light as well.
Old 01-17-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Fill radiator, install cap.
Squeeze top radiator hose several times. Listen and watch as you do.
See if the coolant is leaking out of a crack in the top plastic section of the radiator
Old 01-18-2017
Registered!!

I replaced the radiator cap, then drove around some more. When I parked I had my co worker rev the engine until the fans turned on. At that point I noticed coolant leaking out of some foam at the top of the radiator where it's exposed (close and right under the radiator cap). I assume there is crack in the radiator and that it was repaired and in the last few days the seal broke. At this point what do I do? Is it worth replacing the radiator? (200k on the car) or should I try and reseal it?

Any suggestions?
Old 01-18-2017
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,122 Likes on 937 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

new rads are cheap, $66 Canadian on rockauto for a denso one
Old 01-18-2017

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

I assume there is crack in the radiator and that it was repaired
I expect it's an original radiator, it's now cracked, and in need of replacement.

Radiators can be had for a decent price if you wish DIY install it.
Old 01-18-2017
Registered!!

Yeah
​​​​im interested in doing it myself. Any good tutorials? How long can I keep using a cracked radiator? If I keep the fluids topped off will it last for a while?
i appreciate the help. Thanks a lot.
Old 01-18-2017

Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Sionolann3
Yeah
​​​​im interested in doing it myself. Any good tutorials? How long can I keep using a cracked radiator? If I keep the fluids topped off will it last for a while?
i appreciate the help. Thanks a lot.
Download (free) service manual: https://www.manualslib.com/manual/46...nda-Civic.html

Keep the coolant topped up to avoid overheat which can lead to cylinder head warping and head gasket breach.

Radiator (aftermarket) prices: https://www.google.com/#q=honda+civi...ement&tbm=shop

Here's a vid:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJYA_UCoNrU

Last edited by Wankenstein; 01-18-2017 at 10:58 PM.
Old 01-19-2017

Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

I would replace that as soon as possible so you dont end up cooking the motor.
Old 01-19-2017
Registered!!

Would it be worth buying an OEM radiator? I know some people say OEM only on certain things. I don't know when to draw the line. Would they even be available?
Old 01-19-2017

oem is denso, and the honda parts site up in my area lists it for $600
up to you
Old 01-19-2017
Registered!!

Bought a new radiator on Rock auto for $33. I'll have it by next Wednesday and then I'll install it next weekend probably. I'll let you guys know how it goes. Thanks a ton for the help!
Old 01-19-2017

Bought a new radiator on Rock auto for $33. I'll have it by next Wednesday and then I'll install it next weekend probably. I'll let you guys know how it goes. Thanks a ton for the help!
Use Honda brand coolant or Pentosin Pentafrost A3 (blue dye) coolant.
Raise front end of car to bleed air out of coolant with radiator cap off.
Set heater to max heat..and blower fan off. All in service manual.
Old 01-20-2017
Registered!!

That will burp the system right? I haven't got the manual yet. I did not know that you needed a more specific type of coolant. I've been using regular coolant that I dilute 50/50. I'll get the pentafrost stuff though.
Old 01-20-2017

I did not know that you needed a more specific type of coolant.
It's not an absolute requirement, but it is encouraged.

Last edited by ezone; 01-20-2017 at 12:19 PM.
Old 01-20-2017
Registered!!

Found the pentosin pentofrost a3 at napa. Awesome. I'll let you guys know how installation and everything goes next week.
Old 01-21-2017
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
eddie1976 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Colin42
oem is denso, and the honda parts site up in my area lists it for $600
up to you
I recently had to replace a radiator on a 2001 Civic, since it was leaking from where the metal meets the plastic on the radiator close to the the fill port. After seeing the pricing on majestichonda (about 300) for the radiator, I looked at other options. I found a denso radiator online that I got for $45. Knowing denso made the OEM honda radiator, I figured this denso and the OEM are identical. Installed and perfect fit. No issues for the last few months.
Old 01-21-2017
Registered!!

Originally Posted by eddie1976
I recently had to replace a radiator on a 2001 Civic, since it was leaking from where the metal meets the plastic on the radiator close to the the fill port. After seeing the pricing on majestichonda (about 300) for the radiator, I looked at other options. I found a denso radiator online that I got for $45. Knowing denso made the OEM honda radiator, I figured this denso and the OEM are identical. Installed and perfect fit. No issues for the last few months.
I got an OSC 1290 and it should arrive today. I'll put it in tomorrow and then let you guys know how it went. I got new clamps and a new upper hose (I didn't think to get hoses on Rockport when I got the radiator so I bought the upper hose at napa. They didn't have a lower) and I'll replace those as well. My brother burnt out his civic's engine cause a hose ruptured. It's not OEM but we will see how it does.
Old 01-21-2017
Registered!!

I know this is a stupid question, but what is the radiator like thing next to the actual radiator? It has two metal hoses coming out of it?
Old 01-21-2017

I know this is a stupid question, but what is the radiator like thing next to the actual radiator? It has two metal hoses coming out of it?
Condensor for the AC system.
Old 01-22-2017
Registered!!

What are the two little hoses that connect to the bottom of the radiator for? They had a reddish purple fluid in them when I took them off? Not talking about the lower coolant hose.
Old 01-22-2017
Registered!!

What are the two little hoses that connect to the bottom of the radiator for? They had a reddish purple fluid in them when I took them off? Not talking about the lower coolant hose.
it looks like they connect to the transmission. I'll check the fluid and make sure it's not low before I do anything
Old 01-22-2017

An automatic transmission fluid cooler (a heat exchanger) is inside the radiator.

Before checking the trans fluid, you will need to run the engine so the cooler is refilled...then check the trans fluid according to your owners manual. (engine OFF)
I'd guess maybe 8 oz of trans fluid would be lost during a radiator replacement, unless the hoses were allowed to drip a long time while hanging down.
Old 01-22-2017
Registered!!

So I replaced the radiator, the upper hose, and two hoses between the transmission and the radiator and I'm still getting the same problem. I filled up the radiator and then drove about 2 miles and now the coolant all over is just blue. I had my brother in law rev the engine for 5 minutes and the fan never turned on but the radiator started pushing out coolant right at the top (the pin that goes into the bracket on the top of the radiator).
frustrating. Any thoughts? I am lost.
Old 01-22-2017

but the radiator started pushing out coolant right at the top (the pin that goes into the bracket on the top of the radiator).
Got pics?
Old 01-22-2017

is the rad cap closed all the way? sometimes they have like a "vent" position between open and close