Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

no start

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TutorialSurplus is an unknown quantity at this point
no start

Hey I have a 1995 honda civic coupe that im having some problems with. It was driving fine then it sat for about a week while I was gone on vacation with the family come back and it wont crank, but will turn over all day. I did some test and it no gas is getting to the engine so I replaced the fuel pump, fuel filter and as a last hope the main relay with no avail. Sill wont start. If anyone has had something similar and fixed it let me know. Its getting plenty of spark and air.

Last edited by sdaidoji; 01-17-2017 at 04:57 PM.
Old 01-17-2017
OF top 99.5% creator (Formerly of the Puffinblunts variety)

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts
Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of
Re: no start

Originally Posted by TutorialSurplus
Hey I have a 1995 honda civic coupe that im having some problems with. It was driving fine then it sat for about a week while I was gone on vacation with the family come back and it wont crank, but will turn over all day. I did some test and it no gas is getting to the engine so I replaced the fuel pump, fuel filter and as a last hope the main relay with no avail. Sill wont start. If anyone has had something similar and fixed it let me know. Its getting plenty of spark and air.
Turn key to position 2 do your hear (new) fuel pump prime?
If so, then while in position 2 hold gas pedal all the way down for 10 seconds move to position 3 (start) while still holding pedal to floor. If it cranks and runs let off gas. If it cranks but doesn't start let of gas pedal and try starting again.

If you didn't hear fuel pump prime then either fuse, wiring break or possible ignition cylinder issue.
Can check if fuel is getting to fuel injectors by removing the fuel rail (including injectors) and then spray the injectors into a bucket and watch for gas spray pattern and sequence.

If you have fuel and have spark then all that's left is air. Throttle body plate stuck closed? doubtful but possible.
Also, the distributor's igniter and/or coil is always a possibilty too.
But, test don't guess (and just replace parts).

Last edited by Wankenstein; 01-17-2017 at 06:11 PM.
Old 01-17-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Are the spark plugs wet, or dry?
Old 01-23-2017
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
Are the spark plugs wet, or dry?
Dry the fuel pump wasnt pumping fuel I figured it was just a dud that I bought so I bought another one and its still not pumping fuel but I can clearly here it turning on.
Old 01-24-2017
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,126 Likes on 941 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by turd_ferguson
Can check if fuel is getting to fuel injectors by removing the fuel rail (including injectors) and then spray the injectors into a bucket and watch for gas spray pattern and sequence.
Try this yet?
Or at least open the line at the rail and see if its getting past the filter?
Old 01-24-2017
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Colin42
Try this yet?
Or at least open the line at the rail and see if its getting past the filter?
Yes I did try that with both of the fuel pumps and no fuel was getting to the front the pump is turning on but not pumping any fuel at all I even tried disconnecting the lines from the top of the fuel pump and no fuel is coming out of it. The fuel tank is also full of gas before someone asks me that lol
Old 01-24-2017

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

the pump is turning on but not pumping any fuel at all I even tried disconnecting the lines from the top of the fuel pump and no fuel is coming out of it.
Problem is with the pump again, but why? Is there a leak between the pump and the top of the tank?
Old 01-24-2017
Registered!!

Problem is with the pump again, but why? Is there a leak between the pump and the top of the tank?
Thats what im asking haha i dont understand what could be causing the fuel pump to not work for a second time and no i do not believe there is a leak everything is hooked up how its supposed to be. Do you know if the pump has like a seperate wire that controls it turning on and another wire that controls the pumping of fuel. Thats the only thing I could think of
Old 01-24-2017

Are you having to assemble the pump to the tank unit, or are you buying a complete drop-in assembly?
Old 01-24-2017

Is the pump wired backwards?
Old 01-24-2017
Registered!!

Are you having to assemble the pump to the tank unit, or are you buying a complete drop-in assembly?
?? not sure what you mean buy that. But I bought a fuel pump kit that came with the pump itself a filter that attaches to the bottom the rubber piece that holds the fuel pump in and the hose that runs from the pump to the top of the assembly.
Old 01-24-2017
Registered!!

Is the pump wired backwards?
Unless if it was already wired backwards b4 it broke down then no bc I copied everything exactly
Old 01-24-2017

bought a fuel pump kit that came with the pump itself a filter that attaches to the bottom the rubber piece that holds the fuel pump in and the hose that runs from the pump to the top of the assembly.
So you had to kinda assemble it yourself.

You said you can hear the pump run?

I can only guess the pump motor is running backwards, and it can't build pressure if it's running backards.

Can you switch the 2 wires for it just to see if that makes it pump?
Old 01-25-2017
Registered!!

I can only guess the pump motor is running backwards, and it can't build pressure if it's running backards.

Yes I can hear the pump run I'll check it out and see when I get a chance
Old 01-25-2017
Registered!!

I switched the two wires around and still no fuel is coming from the pump but I can't still here it prime
Old 01-25-2017

but I can't still here it prime
I assume that's a typo, you CAN hear it prime and run?

Hmmm. Well, I guess put the wires back the way they were since that didn't change anything....

Check for a full 12v battery power and full ground reaching the pump? (I know this may be dangerous because of gasoline and sparks, but I have had to connect and run a pump outside of the tank to test that, along with checking for leaks under pressure)

How about a blockage preventing flow?
Was there a dust cap over the end of the pump you should have removed before you put the hose over it? How about the other end of the pump where the strainer goes?

The problem might be something so simple you'll facepalm when you find it.
Old 01-25-2017
Registered!!

I assume that's a typo, you CAN hear it prime and run?

Hmmm. Well, I guess put the wires back the way they were since that didn't change anything....

Check for a full 12v battery power and full ground reaching the pump? (I know this may be dangerous because of gasoline and sparks, but I have had to connect and run a pump outside of the tank to test that, along with checking for leaks under pressure)

How about a blockage preventing flow?
Was there a dust cap over the end of the pump you should have removed before you put the hose over it? How about the other end of the pump where the strainer goes?

The problem might be something so simple you'll facepalm when you find it.
Yes that was a typo lol and yeah it will be a facepalm and there couldnt be a blockage bc im litterally unhooking the hoses out of the top of the fuel pump to see if its flowing any fuel out so its just not pumping out fuel I have absolutely no clue what it could be...