Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

99 honda civic ex idle surging.HELP ME !!

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
chriswilkison84 is an unknown quantity at this point
99 honda civic ex idle surging.HELP ME !!

ok ive been working on my wifes car trying to figure out this damn idle surge. i replaced the MAP sensor i replaced the ECT sensor i replaced the IACV i replaced the TPS sensor and still surging i also drained radiator added new coolant and burped it can anyone tell me what else it may be ? any help will be much helpful thank you.
Old 01-07-2017
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,144 Likes on 799 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 99 honda civic ex idle surging.HELP ME !!

Check for any vacuum leaks?
Old 01-07-2017
Registered!!

chriswilkison84 is an unknown quantity at this point

i did that and i cant seem to find any how would you suggest on checking i just pulled the vacuum lines off and checked them out for cracks
Old 01-08-2017
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,122 Likes on 937 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by chriswilkison84
i did that and i cant seem to find any how would you suggest on checking i just pulled the vacuum lines off and checked them out for cracks
Fill a spray bottle with water and mist all the lines and connections, etc. If the idle changes when you spray a certain area you've found a problem.
Old 01-08-2017
Registered!!

RIPSAW has a spectacular aura aboutRIPSAW has a spectacular aura about

Is the EGR valve leaking at idle or maybe the passage ways are all carboned up? Was that IAC valve over $300?
Old 01-25-2017
Registered!!

asylvester will become famous soon enough

Did you check the PCV valve? My 2000 civic was surging and threw a P0505 CEL code. After pulling my hair out, it turned out the be the &%#%'n PCV valve. This is a cheap fix if you do it yourself. Use ONLY a HONDA PCV. I had a new aftermarket one and the HONDA one fixed the issue.

IMPORTANT NOTE: The PCV is a bear to get to. You will need to pull the oil filter and there is not much room to get your hands in there. There is a rubber hose about 2 in. long that attaches to the PCV. You will see that it has a slight bend in it. Well when I put mine back I forgot which way the bend was and I got the P0505 after a day or two. The problem was that if the bend is not correct, the PCV does not seat properly and leaks (ever so slightly but enough to throw the CEL). I put some silicone to prevent any leaks and the P0505 has not come back on.