Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Positive Camber on Rear Right Wheel

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tn_neon is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Positive Camber on Rear Right Wheel

Hello everyone!
So as you can tell by the title I have a problem. To sum it up I lost control in my 1999 Honda Civic EX sedan while turning in the snow and slammed my rear right wheel into the curb. I know I bent the rim so I got that fixed straight away. I put the car up on an alignment rack and it read that I have the normal toe on both back wheels and slight negative camber on the rear left, but, I have about 1 degree of positive camber on the rear right.

This seems to cause my car to try to fishtail when driving on snow and when on the plowed/cleared roads when I hit bigger bumps you can feel the car jerk as if its trying to fishtail as well. I'm assuming this is causing some irregular tire wear. I've looked at it and narrowed it down to a few logical things but then again i've only been messing around with cars for 2 years now so my experience/knowledge is lacking.

1) The Positive/Negative camber combo is causing it to want to fishtail. Therefore, I would need to adjust the camber on the rear right wheel but from what I've read it doesn't seem possible with the stock suspension and if possible its hard to not mess up toe as well.
2) The trailing arm or other parts related to it may be bent. The distance between the wheel and trailing arm on the right is about 1/2" closer than the distance on the left. With that said I don't know if the trailing arm is actually bent and if replacing it would be worth it or if its just the positive camber causing this closer distance. Also considering local(Southeastern Wisconsin) junk yards don't seem to carry trailing arms for my car and OE parts are roughly $400ish or are not in stock if it would be worth replacing before considering the camber option.

So yeah, not sure if those theories are correct or whatever but i'd like to hear any input I can get to help get this fixed.
Old 01-03-2017
Dr Krieger of Modification

Received 84 Likes on 58 Posts
mac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to behold
Re: Positive Camber on Rear Right Wheel

The scrap yard will have the OEM parts you need, they are on nearly all crashed civics.

Try to find a yard that you can pull form yourself.

DO NOT correct the camber with an aftermarket kit if you have damaged oem parts.

Either go complete aftermarket including lca/trailing arms, or, complete stock new used parts.
Old 01-04-2017
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,144 Likes on 799 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

$20 says you have the same damage I do and you have a bent rear LCA in your back passenger side wheel. I've been lazy and/or too poor to fix it yet, but my band aid on my car's gaping wound is the camber kit I've had installed since 2005. lol

tl;dr: don't be like me and put that crap off. Fix it right.
Old 01-13-2019
Registered!!

Aerose91 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mac25
The scrap yard will have the OEM parts you need, they are on nearly all crashed civics.

Try to find a yard that you can pull form yourself.

DO NOT correct the camber with an aftermarket kit if you have damaged oem parts.

Either go complete aftermarket including lca/trailing arms, or, complete stock new used parts.
what parts do I need that could be causing positive camber in the front?
Old 01-13-2019
Registered!!

Aerose91 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by xRiCeBoYx
$20 says you have the same damage I do and you have a bent rear LCA in your back passenger side wheel. I've been lazy and/or too poor to fix it yet, but my band aid on my car's gaping wound is the camber kit I've had installed since 2005. lol

tl;dr: don't be like me and put that crap off. Fix it right.
camber in the rear seens fine. Front is the issue after i did the clutch