Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

8th Generation Civic Hybrid

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NickV is an unknown quantity at this point
8th Generation Civic Hybrid

Hello everyone, Im pretty new to this Forum and I need help regarding my 2006 Civic Hybrid w.navigation. When I first purchased this car I was getting about 36mpg but recently its been shot down to 16mpg on a HYBRID. I think its pathetic for a Hybrid. Im not sure why. I have done a tuneup recently(other than the PCV, which I can't find). If anyone has any suggestions on what the problem may be, would like to read about it also if anyone has changed the PCV, I need to know its location. Pics would help a lot. Thanks in advance
Old 12-22-2016
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 8th Generation Civic Hybrid

Welcome to the forum!

16 is awfully low. Scary low.

A few thoughts:

Do you have this documented on paper, using the standard miles driven/gallons to fill up? Several tanks in a row, document every fill up and odometer reading, average over several tanks? (If you complain about low gas mileage at the dealer and don't have real documentation to back it up, you may be blown off)

Have you had a Honda dealer check out the low mileage?

Any gas smells/leaks?

Is the check engine light on? IMA light on?
Rapid IMA battery level depletion after accelerating?
Got any codes?

Tires stock size, good quality, all aired up?
No brakes dragging?

Software all up to date?
Old 12-23-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NickV is an unknown quantity at this point

I have not yet documented anything but I will surely start doing so. It has been roughly four gas tanks where i've been getting 16 mpg. Haven't taken it to Honda and believe they probably will blow me off given my car was issued a salvage title. I also must state that this problem just came about. I've checked my oil - at 30% life remaining but at proper level. My air filter - clean. My tire pressure just added some air last night - 36psi in front and 34 rear. No lights on other than DRL. Im not sure about software ur referring to. I did notice a handful of times where the IMA battery level would drop suddenly but at full charge after a few miles of driving.
My driving habits - I've been a long time driver and im pretty steady and light footed, i know this is 1.3L and no reason to drag race anyone - we all know the reults of that - lol. I drop my daughter to school and pick her up and 4 mile drive. Had a bad habbit of warming the car for the kid but just to test how it effects the mpg i havent been doing that either. Last year around this time drove to Texas from NY and ONLY costed me anout $100 each way for gas and i was surprised but now I'm not sure. Love this car but upsetting with the mpg
By the way after adding air and not warming up it jumped up to 20mpg on this tank but thats still not acceptable from a car that should be giving me aroung 36 - 38mpg in city
Thanks in advance
Old 12-23-2016
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Salvage title shouldn't stop anyone from trying to solve the problems.

DRL warning light on, a high beam headlight is usually burned out. Or inoperative for some reason. Or someone hacked around it.

Weak IMA battery will cause gas mileage drop if it is low enough that the electric assist is depleted too soon, and if the system keeps trying to recharge the IMA battery all the time. I can't say how much of a drop would be typical though.

Cold weather, winter fuel blends, warmups before driving, and stop-and-go traffic kills fuel economy.

Right now, after just a few mormnings of -2 to 10 degree (*F) with 3 remote-start warmups on this tank of fuel, my car is showing about 22-23 MPG, down from my usual 27-29 for my daily commutes in better weather.
It's supposed to be in the 50s here this weekend LOL

For a wildass totally random guess.......assuming the car has no mechanical problems...I might look into a primary (AF) sensor for causing the excess consumption.